How do you fight bandwidth theives? (rant) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

How do you fight bandwidth theives? (rant)

I just spent the last hour altering a photo just for the pleasure of a guy that linked to one of my images stealing my bandwidth that I pay for. This gets to be a real drag, I guess that I will have to implement hotlink protection.

That guy is going to get a real load in his pants the next time he visits his site http://www.nexopia.com/profile.php?uid=593616

Maybe I should not have done it but I get real tired of this, what do you think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Wiki Edits: 0

The best way is with Mod_Rewirte if its an apache based webserver tho this is by no means the easiest way to take care of it.

And if you are paying for the bandwidth its your right to decide if you want some asshat stealing from your limit or not.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Good Job, You could have really nailed him by hooking him up with some real graphic homoerotica. Let the little peckerhead link to your server and then swap files/filenames for his link!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Yeah, that should do it. I've seen much worse. Some people replace the image file with a "different" image that has the same filename.

This is why we watermark the images in the gallery with "Hotrodders.com".

You should be able to monitor and control external hotlinking with your .htaccess file. You can use this tool if you're not accustomed to doing it manually.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Electra!!!

TO:CrashFarmer2, off-topic

What with Buicks? Or I've again told something wrong in PM?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

btw, you spelled "loser" wrong on your edited picture. Doesn't have two "o"s. Just don't want u to look bad.

This happened to me on HR.com once. I linked a picture over from a site (an "owned!" picture). Well, apparently its poor form to link a picture directly from another site (I had no idea) so they replaced the picture in the HR.com thread from the one I linked to a picture of a black guy, naked, with an enormous member and his little female companion. Yep, you could say I was officially "owned." Not that I knew it was a problem in the first place. I know now!

I just don't think all people realize when they link a photo over that they're using up "bandwidth" and that bandwidth is a finite commodity.

K
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
btw, you spelled "loser" wrong on your edited picture. Doesn't have two "o"s. Just don't want u to look bad.

This happened to me on HR.com once. I linked a picture over from a site (an "owned!" picture). Well, apparently its poor form to link a picture directly from another site (I had no idea) so they replaced the picture in the HR.com thread from the one I linked to a picture of a black guy, naked, with an enormous member and his little female companion. Yep, you could say I was officially "owned." Not that I knew it was a problem in the first place. I know now!

I just don't think all people realize when they link a photo over that they're using up "bandwidth" and that bandwidth is a finite commodity.

K

Man, I hit the floor when I saw that one. I don't think everyone could see it though. Man,that was funny,glad it did not get out of hand though.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula

K

Sure whatever you say killer, we all know you meant to post that picture

Brad

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.