Hot Rod Forum banner

how do you find parts without a year and make?

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
If I want a transmission bolt I have to say I have a 1990 GMC with auto
If I want a engine part, I have a 1970 Chevelle with 350
If I want a brake line, I have to say a 1939 Pontiac Deluxe Coup.....

And there's 'the rub'!! Nobody has stuff for a 39, (almost nobody).... so, I have to resort to finding a supplier who can sell me, for instance, a brake line that is X inches long, has Y at one end, Z at the other, and costs $$.$$. I would think Summit would direct me to this information, but they need me to describe my auto, then they cough up a part number without details on the part. They give details describing the make of auto to which the part fits! And, (conversely), If I go to the manufacture, they are big on details, but where to get their part number? No idea! And what does it cost? No idea! Don't ask them, they want me to buy six zillion at a whack!

What us idiots want is a place on the web which lets me know this part will fit where I have to bolt it. If it's a brake place, I want all the parts there can be to hook up brakes and I want description of each part with price and availability. What's so hard about this?

(sorry! I humbly beg your forgiveness for being a sack of downers. I will sit in the pit of itchy leaves later as penance.)

Where can a beginning hot rod guy go on the web to buy do it myself hot rod stuff and it's not Summit, Jegs, or Speedway? (Maybe a new web site is what I want!)

rwruther, old guy but new hot rod guy without a clue and doing it myself anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
Application! Application! Application! A lot of info is needed so you get the right part for your model vehicle. There are over 6 differnt oil filters for a smallblock chevy alone! They need to know your application. Be glad they asked, they could have just shipped you anything to get you off the phone!

I have dealt with Speedway, and trust me, if you tell them what you're working on, they will bend over backwards to get you the right thing. hell, you might even got to chat with the ole man.

But, you said you're learning, so now you know.

#3 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of hotrodding.

I have been collecting catalogs that are " buyers guides" that have dimensions and part numbers, but it is still a hit and miss deal. When I need a weird part with no application, I go to the parts house and sit at the end of the counter with those illustrated buyers guides , find one part that looks right and go physically pull it out of the box and see if it works.
It helps to have a good relationship with the local napa store or some parts house that still has paper catalogs. In some instances the catalogs are on papyrus scrolls in the basement... :p

If all parts were listed dimensionally with a part number and list of applications that they work with it would be advantagous to all of us.

I know that the OEM suppliers don't usually supply their technical drawings online, but many of the aftermarket manufacturers do. I've come to the conclusion that spending hours and hours trying to find an original OEM part to do a job is not worth it. I go to the aftermarket stuff or find alternates. For example, brake lines. I just use braided stainless ones. Get the proper adapters and line length and you are done. Although a local guy here has the ability to make OEM style custom lines, and I have started to use his stuff on several projects.

Later, mikey

#4 ·
I think one of the more valuable websites for parts interchange information is..................well, you already know how to get here. Just ask.

Other than that...creative cobbing. Its there SOMEWHERE. Just have to look, scrounge, and make it fit. Kind of like our forefathers of the hotrod era. The only advantage we have, is the internet.

#5 ·
My Ford 200 I6 is a mut engine, so I know how it is. Pistions are 140/2.3 Ford HSC ( Tempo/ Taurus ) flat tops, timing chain is the correct timing chain for a canadian Ford 200 ( same as American 200 but, it was made in Australlia ), cylinder head is going to be from a later model 200/250. rockers ( Yella Terra Full rollers ) are actually listed for Australlian Ford 250 2V engine, the distributor is for a '78 Fairmont with a 200, and the turbocharger is from a '78 Buick Regal Sport ( had 231/ turbo engine ). the lifters are for a Small block ford. and the fuel pump block off plate, is for all SBF engines from 221-351W, and even tho it's a ford racing plate, it would fit BBC's also

#6 · (Edited)
rwruther said:
(sorry! I humbly beg your forgiveness for being a sack of downers. I will sit in the pit of itchy leaves later as penance.)

Where can a beginning hot rod guy go on the web to buy do it myself hot rod stuff and it's not Summit, Jegs, or Speedway? (Maybe a new web site is what I want!)

rwruther, old guy but new hot rod guy without a clue and doing it myself anyway.
No use beatin yourself up over it.It's not easy bein a streetrodder you know. ;)
One thing we do have is patience,determination,and the will to get to the bottom of problem someway some how and end up having a ride to be proud of,without blaming parts people.
Still not sure what your working on,I take it as a 1939.....well try this site if you want some original parts to start with.......Kanter Auto Products,even free catalogue for ya to search parts
Good luck and happy hunting
Edited......Great place for parts is swap meets,Hershey for example,or similar to, has something for everyone........Grab a Hemmings book.......

#7 ·
rwruther said:
If I want a transmission bolt I have to say I have a 1990 GMC with auto
If I want a engine part, I have a 1970 Chevelle with 350
If I want a brake line, I have to say a 1939 Pontiac Deluxe Coup.....

Its nothing new ..
My 66 panel truck has a 88 5.7 with tbi front brakes off a 86 1/2 ton truck, rear axle from a 68 chev truck and various parts form other gm cars.

Hotrodding to me is doing it my self and finding the part to do it.

You ask how do you find parts I say searching for them is most of the fun.

Sure its fun to drive but digging and designing parts is the best part for me.

:) :)

Brian kc0kfg

#8 ·
Thats the best part of being a hotrodder....You learn how to adapt things to make them fit..........I have my Ford with the Chevy engine (sorry Centerline), 57 Chevy rear end..........Built the bed floor myself, sewed the headliner and tonneau cover..............yada, yada, yada...................It's great being able to say I did that myself.

#9 ·
And another advantage of having access to a real parts man comes to light. Find the oldest independent parts place in town, then find the oldest guy that works there. He'll be the one who knows how to operate those weird old paper catalogs, and if he can't help you, he can probably tell you who can.

#10 ·
(Hope this is going in the right place, duh?)

Thanks all you dudes for the info! Just knowing there are folks around who have similar problems and some good ideas for solutions is worth it's weight in gold! (that is, "valuable", ....have no idea what gold costs these days)

Thanks again,

rwruther

#12 ·
Word to the wise...build a relationship with your local parts guys, whatever chain they're associated with. Have them save the old catalogs when they get new ones in. Have patience with them when you're trying to figure something out. Much easier to look up parts for a '05 ****box, as opposed to a 46 ford with a camaro clip & a 460 :D
Ex Napa guy, so i'm a bit prejudiced, but Napa seems to be able to get things a lot of the chains cant, and the Balkamp books have widgets & left hand metric thread hammers, that most cant even begin to imagine. Get some old illustrated catalogs(buyers guides).....it is amazing what you can find. Beside, if you call & give 'em a part # it makes their job a little bit easier, and just might get ya a discount on your goodies

#13 ·
If you're near Grand Rapids, Auto Master's is a good place... they sell alot of speed parts there too. I did find this other place on m43 between Hastings and Lansing that has the AMC logo painted on the building, so they *might* know alot of the older stuff as well.

#14 · (Edited)
I am an old guy also who has done all the searching and it's fun. If you were doing a Hot Rod it would be easier to find aftermarket products like under floor power brakes, engine, tranny, front end and rear end stuff, wiring and so on. Lots of neat stuff. BUT!!!!!!!!! if you pick a pretty uncommon car (39 Pontiac) to restore you ain't gunna get any parts from Jeggs and such. You are going to get them from Hemmings, Ebay and swaps. If you pick a Chevy or Ford to restore you will have aftermarket reproductions and Hemmings, Ebay and swaps. Sounds like you want to Hot Rod a 39. Well: a big man engine and any tranny must be retrofitted into place with aftermarket universal type engine crossmember and tranny crossmember. The fitment and measuring and thinking is up to you. Basically then, in your case, you build the chassis from all sorts of new and donor and fabricated parts and get the body stuff from Ebay bla bla bla. You don't say if it's a Restomod or compete custom or ? Do the chassis stuff first, frame, axles, brakes, steering, gas tank, eng and tranny. Don't start buying a bunch of fun stuff for the body or interior yet. You will have plenty of time over the next 6 years to do that! The internet is your best friend in the whole world, use it. Join all the Forums and ask anything, get your parts from the internet. Get high speed internet service, an electric impact wrench, a cherry picker, good drill, six jack stands, a roll around office chair with arms, a credit card And build a wooden body dolly. Go Daddy, Go. P.S., go to http://carnut.com/photo/list/pont/pont39.html see a bunch of 39's, gives you ideas and by googleing 1939 pontiac and in forums you will find guys who have done a 39 and they will help you, they did it already! Those are cool looking by the way.

#15 ·
Something you might want to do after you have found parts that you need is to keep a list of the part number or what year engine or other part you got the part off of. This will help in the future when you need replace that part or it may help in locating other parts that may be related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.