Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HOW do you guys do it?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Centerline said a lot of what I would of and all the guys gave you some good advice. It can seem overwhelming. When I worked on my bonny and a mustang for someone else, I was laid off from work at the time, but even still, it was very time consuming and a lot of work to get done. There are always commitments that take you away from getting work done. I pretty much work a panel or two at a time. I like to get all the bodywork on the outside done and primed and blocked and to the point of just needing a final sand before paint, then I work on prepping the jambs, and try to shoot all the parts off together if possible, but I don't really see a problem if you do only one at a time. But if there is any amount of work that has to be done inside doors or jambs, then I do that as I am working my way around the car. To do a good job, you will probably need to remove those parts to prep and paint. I like to remove the door hinges and parts like that, and sandblast them and epoxy seal and paint. Much easier to do that then trying to sand some parts. It really isn't all that much work to scuff up the epoxy primer. Much easier then if parts sitting in baremetal start rusting, and will give you the opportunity to concentrate on one area at a time and perfect it before moving on. Most basecoats have a fairly long time window. So a lot of times I will get the car all in basecoat and covered. Since I usually wetsand the base with around 1000-1500 to smooth a little an denib I'll do that after its set an hour or so, or the next day. Then I only have to spray on a coat or two of base and a few coats of clear that day. Just set a weekend aside when you get to the point of paint, or take a vacation day and make it a longer weekend so you can take your time getting it in paint. Things normally go better if you take your time and don't rush the painting and allow enough flash time. I was rushing to get a hood painted after work and had nothing but problems. When I walked away for a day, and came back and took my time, things worked out. Would have ended up being done a lot quicker if I would have not rushed the first time.