Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how do you pick header gaskets for SBC
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
Thanks for all of the help guys! I ordered the remflex gaskets. I hope to be able to set it and forget it!!

I bought a set of proform steel roller tip rockers and I had pretty bad valvetrain noise (they were all adjusted properly) and then one decided it wanted a to take a break and cracked in half. so I ordered a replacement and found that others do not sound that good either. Now I was forced to buy another set of rockers but I went with comp cams (cost more but but should be manufactured to a higher standard I hope!!). I don't think it is worth it to try to save a buck when your building an engine! I only ever get this van running long enough to find more problems!! Most of which were due to manufacturing. I can't believe how many bad parts I got while building this.

Sorry for the rant I just was thinking about how I even got to hear the exhaust leak in the first place.
You can't set headers and forget them; headers are thermally unstable, also, subject to the effects of engine and chassis movement. The latter is a reason that header systems on the OEMs often include a flex coupling.

Preventative maintenance requires retorqueing their fasteners and or using locking devices. This settles down as they age which tells you that a lot of the problem is internal stress from their fabrication process that the heating and cooling cycles of use eventually works out. The super duty gaskets are there only to prevent gasket burn out when you get behind in your retorqueing schedule. This never totally goes away but it settles down a lot probably to the point you'll forget to make perodic checks and adjustments till you hear them leaking again.

Bogie