Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how do you pick header gaskets for SBC
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
I have a motor i built with doug thorley tri-y headers (vortec edelbrock e-tec aluminum heads) and the gaskets that the thorley's came with are already blown? Not even broken in yet. there is no noted torque spec. on the header paperwork. Does anybody have a gasket they can recommend? This build has been going on for far too long!! I would love to be done with it. It is in a 96 chevy express hi top conversion van.
thanks,
Chuck
Not knowing what happened and what you mean by blown ,I'll take a stab at it. If you added new gaskets at a new build, you have to tighten these maybe acoupel times. The headers expand with heat then contract cold. You normally start the engine, Run to temp then shut off. After engine cools, retighten the header bolts. do this severl times untill they stay tight. Some applications wiil never stay tight and need header bolt locks. Most exhaust gaskets are composit and work pretty well if gasket is not run untill blown out. This would indecate flange is warped or not flat with head serface.
Check out your issues. The gaskets you show in pics should work well, providing other issues are correct.