Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do you stop dust/Lint/specs from showing up in light colors?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk
I've been painting guitars for around 7 years now and I have noticed that whenever I have a white or light colored guitar body, there is ALWAYS minor dust, tiny lint hairs, or even an unknown black spec or two. I have been working hard to prevent this but haven't been successful. The contaminants are not likely from my clothing or hands because I wear a white suit and gloves. I suppose the lint could have settled on the white suit in storage but that's almost impossible to stop this.

But I'm at my witts end in getting the perfection I'm after. Any tips?

Here's a picture of my work in progress (drying). From afar it looks great. Really it looks ok even from a few feet away. But it's my staring hard up close that drives me nuts. The other thing is that it's a building problem with successive coats of clear. I use lacquer and it takes 9 or so thin coats to build enough to level sand. With this many coats there are LOTS of chances for dust to get in. I'm very much frustrated with not having a solution. Anyways, any tips are greatly appreciated!

Switch to SPI Universal Clear and get your film buildup in 3 coats. you will eliminate many of the multi coat contaminations and also end up with a more durable finish.
On the SPI forum there are a couple of guys that use SPI clear on musical instruments.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...ghlight=guitar