Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do you stop dust/Lint/specs from showing up in light colors?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
All great tips..but about changing up his paint,the old guitars used to be Nitrocellulose laquer,this gave gave the guitars that disinct warm classic sound that everyone is trying to reproduce..and the older the and more worn the that paint got,the better the guitar resonated and sounded beautiful..

Nitrocellulose is hard to find..you can find it but strict EPA laws on it,thats why they stopped using it on guitars and went to other more modern paints.

I have a '59 cream white all original rosewood neck Strat my father bought brand new ,,still has the original tweed case too..among 3 other strats.

I been thinking about building another strat,i have a 2 peice swamp ash body,and been researchin a lil where to get the nitro paint,that stuff is crazily dangerous to your health..hope your using a good fresh air respirator system...

i'm thinkin some of that dust is from some leftover overspray in that lil booth over time..maybe take the time to do s thorough cleaning and maybe paint the walls and floor again to make it all freshly clean again...
You just have to stop by any wood finishing supplier (Sherwin Williams Sherwood is one example). Any good woodworking finish supply should have lots of Nitro. It's just not common on cars anymore. Cabinet makers still use it quite a bit. Even with them Pre-Cat is more common. Conventional lacquer just isn't durable enough. Even for building guitars, it's hard to keep it fresh even to make it out the door. The stuff isn't durable at all. But it's a great finish for instruments or no one would use it. It looks great as it wears too.