Hot Rod Forum banner

How does this deal sound?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bigdog7373 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 97 chevy k1500. Ext cab, short bed, 4x4 z71. It's really clean, rust free, a/c and everything else works, has a small lift kit on it, exhaust, wheels and tires. It's a really nice truck. Now the down side is it has an "engine noise". Owner says its a knock so lets just assume this is true. He's asking $3k for it. Is this a good price? Worth the work? Or should i make and offer? I'll try to post a pic. Tell me your opinion please, i'm stuck :drunk: thanks guys! :thumbup:

See less See more
#3 ·
"IF" you know how to the mechanics then yes it's a good deal. Offer him #2500 based on a bad engine. Even if the engine is shot you can rebuild it or pick up a good used one. First though I would take it somewhere and get it properly diagnosed to see what the know really is.

#7 ·
Ask him if the "noise" is less pronounced when it warms up, sometimes piston slap will be noticeable when the motor is cold and once the slug heats up it is much less noticable, piston slap is allot less destructive than a bad rod bearing.

I had a 307 SBC with a broken piston skirt, drove that thing for thousands of miles that way, never really knew what was wrong till I opened it up then it was obvious. The chunk of skirt actually got smashed down by the crank and crushed the oil pickup and the thing still motored along for years :sweat:

Ask him how long the thing has been knocking, either way it will need to be pulled eventually. With any luck it might not be the engine internals making the racket, as mentioned give it a good check out.

3K is a good deal for that rig especially if you can do a low dollar engine swap/rebuild. Good luck with it

#8 ·
Yea i will go look at it. Maybe i'll get lucky and its just an exhaust leak or something (fingers crossed). I'd probably just grab a 96-99 350 from a similar truck and throw it in there.

Also found another truck that interests me, although it may not be practical i'm not sure exactly what i want yet. I dont think i'm allowed to like to craigslist so i'll just copy and paste:

1979 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4x4
6" suspension lift
6.5L Detroit Diesel Motor - only has 90k miles. The motor alone is worth asking price.
Sits on 35" swampers
New Sony stereo
New leather bucket seats
Truck runs - has no reverse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.