How does my old cam look? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 AM
AK427

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No real conclusions. All I know is that when I posted pics of the wear surfaces of the lifters on here, folks told me my cam was 'junk'. In fact, several folks told me I needed to pull the engine and rebuild it! Well, I'm not going that far... I'm installing a new cam and lifters and I'm gonna see how it goes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

It doesn't look like it should require a rebuild yet. If a lifter had become severely concave and a cam lobe obviously rounded off, then I would say you need a new set of bearings and some crank work at the machine shop. But it looks like the lifters and cam were just starting to go bad.

During you next break-in try using only one valve spring and maybe some reduced ratio rockers. Plus use an oil with a lot of zinc and use break in oil additive.

Furthermore, you may want to consider getting the cam hardened and maybe use those lifters with that little oil hole on the bottom. And use a cam that doesn't have really aggressive ramps, so don't use "voodoo or xtreme" cams.

I did see a lifter picture on one of your other posts. And it was on the way out. It was the one with a line wear pattern. Wear patterns on the lifter should be circular. That lined lifter was about to go concave and round off the lobe.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
AK427

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
It doesn't look like it should require a rebuild yet. If a lifter had become severely concave and a cam lobe obviously rounded off, then I would say you need a new set of bearings and some crank work at the machine shop. But it looks like the lifters and cam were just starting to go bad.

During you next break-in try using only one valve spring and maybe some reduced ratio rockers. Plus use an oil with a lot of zinc and use break in oil additive.

Furthermore, you may want to consider getting the cam hardened and maybe use those lifters with that little oil hole on the bottom. And use a cam that doesn't have really aggressive ramps, so don't use "voodoo or xtreme" cams.

I did see a lifter picture on one of your other posts. And it was on the way out. It was the one with a line wear pattern. Wear patterns on the lifter should be circular. That lined lifter was about to go concave and round off the lobe.

Well, I've taken the calculated risk of getting an XE274 cam + good quality Sealed Power lifters. Will be using ZDDP+ in the oil and a moly disulphide cam lube. Hopefully, all will be OK.

That 'lined' lifter was just an oil mark (if you're referring to the pic with the brown mark on the lifter face).
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

The line looks like a burnt mark, but glad to hear it was just an oil line.

Good luck with that cam! Remove the inner springs if you have dual springs. Look into getting a set of reduced ratio rockers for the break in. I'm sure you will be able to use them again for another engine.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM

what are reduced ratio rockers? the rockers I run are 1.52's.. I didnt think you could get any less that 1.5's or such.. ive had cam issues in the oast with break-ins and thats with using ZDDPlus, VR-1 oil and coating the H*LL out of the lifter bottoms and cam lobes with the paste that comes in the cam / lifter sets... im to the point now of having my block drilled for a spider plate and installing a roller cam / lifters and using a button!...
-Christopher
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Looks 100% perfectly normal to me. Throw it back in,,,don't mix up the lifters.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRoyaltyInMyChevy
what were the condition of the cam bearings?
because I got a motor with low mies but the cam looked like your but a little worse and the bearings were just totally grooved, chipped, and carved lol I wanted to know if it happened to you because we both know we had a bad break in but would that usually also cause the bearings to go bad to like from to much heat or no lubrication? or this is just because my oil pump got plugged or something, but my main bearings were pretty nice. how were the rest of the bearings in your engine?
We just had an engine come in the shop a few weeks ago with spent cam bearing from another engine builder using stock cam bearings with a hyd. flat tappet cam.

We don't put stock cam bearing in any of engines we build and we never see these problems. For another 6 or 8 dollars its well worthe using a set of CHP-8 or we use the ACL 3349 cam bearings and never look back.

Here is an old link to look over on performance cam bearings and I guees I wasn't to far off HMMMMMMMMMMM And its hard to believe that some engines builder cry about putting in good cam bearing.

chewed cam bearings?

Debating stock vs performance cam bearings

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS NE; 07-19-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.