How does nitrous work? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 01:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How does nitrous work?

When nitrous is injected into an engine, what happens to make the power? Is it the extra oxygen burning or is it the nitrogen in the mixture heating up? I was corrected by an "all knowing" member on here telling me nitrogen makes the power. Could someone please tell me if I'm right? I know that nitrous oxide is an oxidizer, and it injects oxygen into the engine, to make it's power, am I correct on this? If not please correct me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

http://500cid.com/mts/caduse/nitro/index.htm

I was reading around in the knowledge base and found that link. Its also in the guide to beginning hotrodders (thread is above this one near the top)

I learned a LOT from the link.

Quote:
There are three points. Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process in an engine, at about 572 degrees F., (on compression stroke), nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by allowing more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer, or dampen the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous "intercooling" effect by reducing intake charge temperatures by 60 to 75 degrees F. However, it is not this oxygen alone which creates additional power, but the ability of this oxygen to burn more fuel. By burning more fuel, higher cylinder pressures are created and this is where most of the additional power is realized. Secondly, as pressurized nitrous oxide is injected into the intake manifold, it changes from a liquid to a gas (boils). This boiling affect reduces the temperature of the nitrous to a minus .127 Degrees F. This "cooling affect" in turn significantly reduces intake charge temperatures by approximately 60-75 Degrees F. This also helps create additional power. A general rule of thumb: For every 10 Degrees F. reduction in intake charge temperature, a 1% increase in power will be realized. Example: A 350 HP engine with an intake temperature drop of 70 Degrees F, would gain approximately 25 HP on the cooling affect alone. The third point, the nitrogen that was also released during the compression stroke performs an important role. Nitrogen acts to "buff or dampen" the increased cylinder pressures leading to a controlled combustion process.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Your right that is a very good link. You can also try howitworks.com Im sure they have something. They are very good because they have pictures.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Giggle gas will blow up your engine!! Use a turbo/super charger and cleaned up heads and strong bottom end. Port and polish the heads and stroke it.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

If you use it improperly, yes, it will. Beef up the innards and dont spray for too long and its harmless.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:31 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Your motor will live longer with all throttle no bottle.

Harmless is a relative term, no matter how little juice you use it's still shortening the life of your motor. Then again that's the point isn't it?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.