How Does One Move On? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

How Does One Move On?

Any of you ever had a moment like this, where a long term project you poured everything into finally came to a close, and you were left wondering what to do with yourself now?

Yesterday, with the help of several forum members, I finally finished rebuilding my first carburetor. Might not be a big deal for many, but this was my first tear down and rebuild of any major auto part. Took almost two and a half months. I tested it out this morning on my truck and it worked.

While I felt proud, there was also this growing sense of bitter sweetness. And while I felt I had made a huge accomplishment and finally over came my fear of carburetors (we all fear what we don't understand), it also felt like a chapter came to a close. I spent so much time researching, reading, cussing, talking to forum members (who have contributed an insane amount of info; I owe you guys endless thanks), asking all kinds of questions, prepping, cleaning, painting, building, measuring, photographing, documenting, posting online, even getting in touch with the renowned Cliff Ruggles to get his help as well as some parts...

It really feels like an adventure has come to an end.

Do I treat this as a right of passage and look to the future? Do I distract myself by looking for a new challenge, applying what I've learned from this project while getting excitied about learning even more new things?

Like I said, I feel very bitter sweet about completing this project, but I'm also excited about the possibility of tackling my first motor rebuild soon.

Any of you ever had a moment like this, where a long term project you poured everything into finally came to a close, and you were left wondering what to do with yourself now?

Thanks for listening folks...

Advertisement

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 03-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No, I always have something to, maybe not all car related, even if I diidn't I wouldn't dwell on the fact. Nothing wrong with just sitting and relaxing for a while.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
No, I always have something to, maybe not all car related, even if I diidn't I wouldn't dwell on the fact. Nothing wrong with just sitting and relaxing for a while.
That's true, I am pretty worn out from working on it. I guess I need some time off before moving on to something else. Thanks 327!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just wait until you completely tear down, renovate and sell your first house! Carbs are a Sunday afternoon drinking beer project compared to a house. The only difference is the payoff, I've never rebuilt a carb and then sold it and got a cheque for 100K free and clear at the end.

Mmmmm imagine if you could.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Just wait until you completely tear down, renovate and sell your first house! Carbs are a Sunday afternoon drinking beer project compared to a house. The only difference is the payoff, I've never rebuilt a carb and then sold it and got a cheque for 100K free and clear at the end.

Mmmmm imagine if you could.
Lol! I think I just needed a good night's sleep. Thanks for the laugh 4 Jaw
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a Ford C4 auto transmission...............

Dave W
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have a Ford C4 auto transmission...............

Dave W
Lol!!! Hope you aren't in a hurry. If the carb took me over two months,well... you may have quite a bit of wait!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

If this experiece didn't motivate you to take on another automotive challenge, then maybe you need a break to reflect on just how much you have accomplished.

I too, have needed to do a carb overhaul on my Holley double pumper but have been putting it off because of not having any experience in that department.

However, if the feller on the phone yesterday doesn't back out, then the '55 will become his baby on Saturday and then he can do it.

Think I'll go inline sixer old school next with an early light bodied skin
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
If this experiece didn't motivate you to take on another automotive challenge, then maybe you need a break to reflect on just how much you have accomplished.
Actually it has done just that. This project gave me confidence that I can actually take on something more than just doing avergae maintenance work. I have always wanted to rebuild an engine. Recently I asked other forum members for recommendations on good book and video titles for rookies like myself who couldn't tell a flat tappet from a roller. And they gave excellent suggestions. I am looking forward to reading up on the books, watching the video guides, asking questions, and actually getting my hands dirty.

Quote:
I too, have needed to do a carb overhaul on my Holley double pumper but have been putting it off because of not having any experience in that department.

However, if the feller on the phone yesterday doesn't back out, then the '55 will become his baby on Saturday and then he can do it.

Think I'll go inline sixer old school next with an early light bodied skin
Oohhh, I've reading about those inlines. Apparently they've got quite a bit of performance potential, provided the wallet is big enough. What kind of car you got in mind? (I see what you did here: you got me to look ahead to my next one lol! )
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
if the feller on the phone yesterday doesn't back out, then the '55 will become his baby on Saturday and then he can do it.
got a taker maybe huh Em, Hate to see the 55 go but i totally understand.
Just wish i had room for and or if the wife would let me anyway.

Cole
Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
What kind of car you got in mind? I see what you did here: you got me to look ahead to my next one lol!
hahaha, not sure at the moment it's only silly thinkng, but maybe a '49/'51 chevy 1/2 ton PU - - - I really like the panels and deliveries but they weight too much. My buddy in H.S. had a late 50's vette with an inline with the 3 sidedraft carbs that I still have dreams about.

Cole, it is a bitter sweet thing for me but it needs to be done at least until we relocate or if Wiffy's health gets any worse then the hot rod days are probably over.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Lol!!! Hope you aren't in a hurry. If the carb took me over two months,well... you may have quite a bit of wait!
Instead of my wise cracks, I should be congratulating you. Those are not the most fun carbs to play with and for the inexperienced, even tougher.

Dave W

PS: It's my spare transmission, it's been rebuilt, so it's clean with a lot of new parts but just needs a few more tougher upgrades for longevity
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
hahaha, not sure at the moment it's only silly thinkng, but maybe a '49/'51 chevy 1/2 ton PU - - - I really like the panels and deliveries but they weight too much. My buddy in H.S. had a late 50's vette with an inline with the 3 sidedraft carbs that I still have dreams about.
I'd love to get one of those trucks as a weekend cruiser.

Quote:
Cole, it is a bitter sweet thing for me but it needs to be done at least until we relocate or if Wiffy's health gets any worse then the hot rod days are probably over.
I do hope and pray your wife's health improves quickly.

Quote:
Instead of my wise cracks, I should be congratulating you. Those are not the most fun carbs to play with and for the inexperienced, even tougher.

Dave W
Thanks for the congrats Dave! I was warned on another forum that the divorced-choke Qjet is not the best first carb to tackle. But I went for it anyway. Actually, humor was the perfect fix for the "I rebuilt my first carb that took forever and now its finished" blues. Got a needed chuckle out of it

Quote:
PS: It's my spare transmission, it's been rebuilt, so it's clean with a lot of new parts but just needs a few more tougher upgrades for longevity
Hmmm... spare, eh? I guess I can take my sweet ol' time then lol! I have been promising myself that I will rebuild my Impala's 4L60e as my first transmission. Made that promise, ohhh... about fourteen months ago. So far, I have a succeeded in emptying the fluid pan and removing the drive shaft.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

Quote:

You mean after the first SIXPACK, or the first CASE, or first trip down the quarter mile? or down to the end of the block to see how fast you can go? Or how about after driving 100mph down your block AFTER you drink a case of beer? NOW WERE TALKIN! THEN you can wonder what you're gonna do, when the cops come rollin up!
YOU can always LURK on the engine forum for a post about how to rebuild a quadrajet and answer questions

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-30-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
You mean after the first SIXPACK, or the first CASE, or first trip down the quarter mile? or down to the end of the block to see how fast you can go? Or how about after driving 100mph down your block AFTER you drink a case of beer? NOW WERE TALKIN! THEN you can wonder what you're gonna do, when the cops come rollin up!
YOU can always LURK on the engine forum for a post about how to rebuild a quadrajet and answer questions
Yeah, but lurkin' and helpin' ain't the same as this though. To be honest, I'm happy and honored to share all that I've learned, and it will make the effort that I put into the project even more worthwhile. I look foward to my chances for making contributions and give back to this community. But right now, I feel I'm still a long ways to go towards earning my stripes.

As to that first trip down the strip... yep, that oughta be a very special moment. I better record that one...

BTW, Im over my post-carburetor depression and ready to pull a motor! ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.