Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   How to eliminate egr (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-eliminate-egr-226154.html)

allansmith859 11-16-2012 10:15 AM

How to eliminate egr

Is there a way I can get a chip that will eliminate egr? Will this make my truck run better. If so where can I get one? It's a 94 Chevy 1500 2wd

dromero5 11-16-2012 11:22 AM

Talk to Brian at TBI chips.com he can tune you a chip with the EGR function deleted. It may cost you a few mpg on the highway but it can be done, might as well get an hotchip from while you are there for more performance.

oldbogie 11-16-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allansmith859 (Post 1611919)
Is there a way I can get a chip that will eliminate egr? Will this make my truck run better. If so where can I get one? It's a 94 Chevy 1500 2wd

Unless there is a failure of the EGR valve itself, eliminating the function will with the exception of less fuel mileage go unnoticed.

EGR if it's working properly only is active in cruise, it is entirely out of the system at idle and at any requirement for power above cruise.

So unless you're getting surging and detonation problems that would indicate and can be traced back to a fault in the EGR, it's existance is completely unnoticed to the operator and it has no effect upon full throttle power. Stirkes me this is spending money on a non problem.

Bogie

LATECH 11-16-2012 03:08 PM

EGR also helps prevent detonation when running truck on todays Cat wizz gasoline.

allansmith859 11-16-2012 03:15 PM

Does anyone know where the vaccum line from the egr valve is supposed to go??? I think I might have it going to the wrong place.

allansmith859 11-16-2012 03:37 PM

nevermind I found the diagram

hcompton 11-16-2012 03:51 PM

Replace the heads intake/exhuast manifolds and carb/injection system.

Or just fix your current egr issue. You wont get nothing out of replacing it if its not a total replacment. Even if you use block off plates its still not going to run better without it. Too many parts are designed to work with egr. Basicly cars havent needed egr since 1985-7 depending on the manufacutrer most engines ran cleaner without it. But in the us every car must have a working egr (Honda) and cat. The have very little rules that apply to every car truck van but that is one. So the manufactures have built engine to work with egr.

Best to just keep it working right buy a new egr valve and a pipe or whatever connects it to the exhuast. Be sure to spray everything down with good lube to help get all the bolts loose. I use bp blaster it seems to work well. Once the system is fixed it will run good for another 50-100k miles.