Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How Fast Were They,Really ???
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
I dont mean cars that were all done up,but ones that were more or less stock..

I thought the 327s were "it" until I bought a bone stock 13,000 mile 69 Dart Swinger in the spring of 1970. It was rated 275hp i think, 4 sp, 391 posi, lightweight tincan Mopar body. I've yet to own a stock Chevy that could do what that car did.

All the modern stuff is fine; but the younger guys really have no clue what it was like back then, and what you saw being done on a Friday/Saturday night

How about those days when you stuffed it on a rolling start, and smoked the tires ALL the way through first, and halfway through second, a good 10 feet in 3rd, and at least bark them in 4th. They may not be "fast" in todays terms, but I miss that power...and lack of traction Keep the new crap...I want to go back

I'm going to try to show my 16yr old what those old cars could do...this is what I worked on today...putting a sixpack on a 340 4sp 69 Dart conv... Now I need to get 391s instead of the 323s I hate cheap valve covers made today, so I found these mid 60s offys

The kids today are still hot for the old muscle, but they feel it's out of reach...at least as a daily driver like we had.