How Fast Would A Caddilac Hurse be with a 500 ci? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 11:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How Fast Would A Caddilac Hurse be with a 500 ci?

hi i was woundring how fast a caddilac hurse would be with a completaly rebiult stock 500 CI caddy BB? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Deadly Fast!!!! HAHAHA.....ah....nevermind
Later,
WEIMER
Old 10-09-2003, 01:15 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Give Dr. Chop a ring... he's the guru of the Caddy mill...
Old 10-09-2003, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Used to have one, a three door Funeral car, used as a tow vehicle for an econodragster my brother raced, it went consistant 21.20"s (loaded with tool boxes etc.)
Old 10-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Hearse? Cadillac? What year?

HK
Old 10-09-2003, 05:50 PM

Hearse? Cadillac? What year?
1.yes
2.yes (not sure what kind)
3. i dotn know but the front end looks just like my old 83 fleetwood
Old 10-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Not very fast, unless you have a Sawzall...

and cut about a ton of weight out of the hearse.

Yes, I said a ton. Most hearses were right up around 7K pounds or so, theres a LOT of heavy steel that goes into doing a hearse conversion. Most of it is in the floor, and the casket rack/braces...

E-bay anything you take out, many times ppl are looking for those hard-to-find bits. A search for hearse clubs will turn up lots of potential parts buyers.

A bone-stock '76 500 motor has the camshaft and the ignition curve SERIOUSLY retarded for emissions reasons, and the later Q-jets are somewhat on the lean side, same reason.

The 8.5-1 C/R with the later 120 cc heads is not all that bad, you can run them on pump gas without pinging like a higher-compression/small chamber head on an early 70's motor would be doing.

It is possible to make a hearse faster, and can be done without spending a huge fortune. Put a 250 HP Nitrous kit on the motor. Caddy cranks will take a 250 HP nitrous hit time after time after time, with little of the problems that smaller motors have. One reason is bearing size, you simply cannot easily hurt a 2.5" rod or a 3" main bearing, unless they run dry...

Doc
Old 10-10-2003, 07:46 AM

i dont really have alot of cash , so pretty much it wont be fast?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It's not gonna be a racecar...

but the more weight you can get out of it, the better off you will be. A set of racing bucket seats would look cool and you lose the stock, heavy bench seat, plus gain a little more interior room. Plastic bathroom shower paneling sheets would be a natural to replace the heavy stock interior panels, and can be painted easily to match the rest of the interior. Pull out the stock carpet and padding, and paint or spray-bedliner the floorpans. The service doors in these cars are extremely heavy, you can cut away some of the inner bracing to lighten them up some, every little bit helps. Lexan windows would lighten the doors further, but are prone to scratching unless you are careful with them.

These cars also had a very tall roof. Think how much weight you could remove by doing a radical top chop. I'd bet you could easily get a couple hundred pounds of metal and glass out of the remnants... and it'd have a much better profile...

Forged aluminum wheels are your best bet to lose some rotating weight, and are at least as strong as the stock steelies. A lower-profile, wider tire weighs about the same as stock but gets a better stance. You could easily lose the weight of a couple coils off the stock springs with a cutoff wheel tool, get a more sporty feel to the suspension, and a lower look. These cars had pretty soft springs to begin with.

The main thing is to get a set plan in your head, and only deviate from that plan if it will further improve the car. You are young and it would'nt hurt a thing if it took you a few years worth of saving and getting parts to get it the way you want. I have had the '54 for about 6 years now, and it was only last winter that I did all the serious bodywork to it. I had it for a year before I yanked the stock 223 inline 6 and the OD trans and did the Caddy 500/TH-400 swap. That swap took another 8 months, spare-time/money wise. It looks pretty wild now, but for a long time it was just another old Fifties car.

Really radical for you would be to gut it, strip the shell and have it and the service doors acid-dipped to thin the metal out some, then Swiss-cheese all the inner structure with a holesaw. Gut the heater/climate controls, remove the entire floor/firewall for some new aluminum panels, and set it down on a new tube frame or better yet, a complete tube chassis with a built-in 12-point cage... and a built 540 cube Caddy mill under the 'glass hood/fenders/bumpers...

Aw, now I want another hearse... the thought of it is making me wanna hit the classifieds...

Doc

Last edited by DrChop; 10-10-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:47 PM

lol thanks , bucket seats and aluminum wheels sound good, im not smart a nuff 2 chop it and i dotn wanna strip it cuz if i get it im gonna put a casket with 2 18" subs in it, but theres a few things in there you said would be good to lighten it , also the plasic looking thing with the rollers on it in the back , does that come out by bolts or is it welded in there? thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

have you seen the monster garage hurse?? it shows pretty good about the amount of weight added to the floor to make it a hurse... id at least pull upthe back carpet and see if theres any extra metal that you can get rid of.. chances are theresa good bit of weight supports and maybe tracks for the coffins... and as far as putting one back in you dont need all that support for a coffin and a few subs....... i do like that thought opf the chop top though.... mmm

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.