How To Fill Emblem Depression? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How To Fill Emblem Depression?

I am getting rid of my front emblem. There is a 4" diameter 1/4" deep depression where the emblem is. I suspect using filler (Bondo) should do the trick. Is this the best method? Should i use fiberglass for extra holding strength?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

If you had to fill it, then I sujest using kitty hair instead......but if you can post a pic, i'm sure we can come up with better ways of "shaving" your emblem
Old 04-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Here are some pics of the emblem i need shaved.. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of the depression?

http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files...%20Z%20015.jpg

http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files...%20Z%20012.jpg
Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

If the piece is made of plastic of fiberglass, you could cut a square piece around the emblem and glue another piece in there. If it made of steel you could do the same thing but weld a new piece of metal. If you decide to glue, make sure to put a bigger piece behind the new piece to make it stronger. Also make some chanfrin (I don't know if it is the right name) around the square and around the new piece to put glue in it. You should be able to make a nice piece without needing any filler.

I recommend using a piece of an old bumper that has the same shape to fill the hole. I am not sure what kind of glue you can use for it as there is too many kinds and I am only a bodyman since 2-3 months. I hope it can help you in your project.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

How big is it?

In eather way...........

Filling it with kittyhair is the easy way

Cutting and welding in a patch panel is the right way.

But at the end it's up to you, and your plans for you'r car.

If it was mine, and I just wanted a cool looking daily, then I would just kittyhair it. (this does depend on the size though)
Old 04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

I didn't even think it could be plastic.........and in that case Alecigio's could be the way to go.....I don't do much plastic modifications, but I heard "fuser" (sp?) Is a great "plastic glue"

Also......if it turns out to be fiberglass, then I would just kitty hair it.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:21 PM

the bumper is urethane... where do i get kitty hair?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

After a search on google I found out kitty hair is a fiberglass reinforced body filler. I never worked with a urethane bumper that so I can't say if if would stick good to it. The best way to know is to try it i guess and if it doesnt work just grind it down and start with something else. "Kitty Hair" should be available in any automotive supplier near you.

If you go with it just make sure to grind it pretty good and clean the piece before aplying any filler for better adherence.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Found this product that may help out, Havn't tried it though...

" Fast setting, two-part epoxy formulated to repair tears, punctures and gouges in flexible bumpers and other flexible parts. Sands easily to a fine featheredge. Resists solvent penetration of primers and topcoats. Will not shrink, pop-out or pinhole under extreme temperatures."
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM

Personally I would not use kitty hair as it meant for metal NOT urethane bumpers!!
Id use an adhesive made for bumpers. Duramix 4040 or 4050 comes to mind then follow up with 4058, prime and paint...Eric
Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

definately DO NOT use kitty hair. i work with plastic every day and it will not work on urethane. there is flexible filler out there but a 1/4" is a bit deep to be filling with filler alone. i shaved the same emblem on the same car but it was on a nisimo front fiberglass bumper so it was easier but anyway, i dont recall that depression being that deep. for something that thick i usually cut a piece of abs sheet to fit in there, this will take up the bulk of the space. it would be glued in with a fusor or a plactic repair adhesive then use the same adhesive on top of the plactic to fill it in then sand smooth. if you dont have any abs or styrene sheeting then as stated before a piece of an old bumper will work too. if the indent is only like 1/8" then you can get away with just filling. fusor makes 214 finishing material. its a flexible epoxy base body filler for plastic. it would work great there. i attached a pic of the 350z i did so you can see what everything looks like shaved. got rid of the reflectors on the sides of the nose too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350z.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	4813  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

SEM's repair material for problem plastics also works really well on urethane. Do not do any heavy grinding, you don't want to melt or burn the plastic. Any grinding should be done at very very low speeds. You'll need some texture for any adhesives to work properly, I would also chamfer the edges of the depression some to avoid the chance of the outline showing up from differences in expansion rates between the urethane and repair materials.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
definately DO NOT use kitty hair. i work with plastic every day and it will not work on urethane. there is flexible filler out there but a 1/4" is a bit deep to be filling with filler alone. i shaved the same emblem on the same car but it was on a nisimo front fiberglass bumper so it was easier but anyway, i dont recall that depression being that deep. for something that thick i usually cut a piece of abs sheet to fit in there, this will take up the bulk of the space. it would be glued in with a fusor or a plactic repair adhesive then use the same adhesive on top of the plactic to fill it in then sand smooth. if you dont have any abs or styrene sheeting then as stated before a piece of an old bumper will work too. if the indent is only like 1/8" then you can get away with just filling. fusor makes 214 finishing material. its a flexible epoxy base body filler for plastic. it would work great there. i attached a pic of the 350z i did so you can see what everything looks like shaved. got rid of the reflectors on the sides of the nose too.
Ok, i may have been wrong about the depth of the cutout.. 1/8" seems more resonable. Glad to see you have done some work on a 350z. I am planning to do the exact same thing you did in the picture. Except I am using a stock bumper and molding on a front lip (veilside v1 fiberglass lip)

I am also going to get rid of the side reflectors, and this is a much larger gap. I was planning on just fiberglassing that area, but maybe you can suggest a better method?

Can these flexible body fillers be purchased at autozone or pepboys? Or do i need to find a auto body store?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Why not leave the emblem in there and grind that down and use the filler over it.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

you'll need to find an auto body supply store for that stuff. fiberglass of any kind isn't going to bond to a urethane front bumper. you can however fiberglass over the holes on the back side then when cured peel the fiberglass off and glue it back to the bumper with the adhesive then finish it off on the front side.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.