how to fill holes in butterflies? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to fill holes in butterflies?

Hi

I have a Holley 600 with a small hole (2.5 - 3mm) drilled in each of the front butterlies. I was going to solder them to day when I noticed they were steel not brass. Thought about puting a small brass nut and bolt in each hole and dropping some solder on the nut in order to lock it and prevent it vibrating loose and touring around the engine! Any suggestions about filling them in please?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You will no doubt head "JBWeld it." I'll only say that JBWeld will loosen over time- seen it too many times when I used to use it to cover the main jet wells of Q-Jets.

Solder WILL stick to steel. It takes acid flux, careful tinning and a hot iron. You will want to use silver solder.

I think the best way (besides never drilling it in the first place) is to braze them. You will want to oven heat the entire blade. Then quickly, but carefully play a relatively narrow flame- like from a jeweler's torch- over the hole while feeding pre-fluxed brazing rod into it.

If you go w/screws and nuts, don't depend on anything except mechanically upsetting the threads that protrude (slightly) through the nut. Look at how it's done on a Q-Jet. They split and flare the ends of the screws so they can't fall into the intake. Same kind of deal, except add a nut to the equation.

EDIT- The oven heating is with the blade removed. Less or no heat if still in the throttle body, but you prob. knew this anyway.

Seriously consider soldering it if you can get a good, hot Unger, etc. iron.
Good luck.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-30-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

There is a product called Seal -All that looks like super glue in a yellow tube.
if you clean, roughen and degrease the hole and let the Seal All cure/harden good over night it gets rock steel hard and is impervious to gasoline when cured.
Fixes leaky gas tanks and sunk carb floats too. dos not stick well to paper but will glue or seal just about anything else including your fingers.
The holes must be clean, roughtened with sand paper or abrasive/file and grease oil free or the seal all won;t stick.
As it don't stick well to paper, use a little piece of paper to back the hole while filling with seal all and after its cured pull the paper off.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm Lots of automotive and hardware stores carry it.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You need that small hole, why are you trying to fill it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

why do i need those small holes. There is absolutely no idle adjustment on the throttle stop screw. the throttle closes on the butterflies and still races to 1200 when hot so when you engage D at the lights youve lunged forwarss like youre leaving the line on the 1/4 mile. and for stop start traffic its a nightmare. With the holes pluged throttle screw is about 3 turns in and she idles at 800.
I cant remember why my mate drilled them in the first place
Thanks so much for all your input
Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Uh... new throttle plates are like $5. No need to fill the old ones with questionable methods, just get new ones.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

New ones....that would have been like the first thing to think of. He is in the UK though, don't know how available they might be over there.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude
New ones....that would have been like the first thing to think of. He is in the UK though, don't know how available they might be over there.
Oh... easy then. If you don't have access to someone who can braze it (nice neat solution) scuff up the plates with some 1000-grit paper on both sides. Tape off the bottom of the holes and then push the tape down just enough to pull it away from the surrounding area. Then fill it with epoxy. You don't want something like a nut and bolt obstructing or changing flow.

Epoxy like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle blades.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	37311  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

I used electrical solder on my holley blades and it has been working for a few years now.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

if i put new throttle plates in how do i split / flare the ends of the screws ?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

you don't. just use lock tight on the screws.

when you take the throttle shaft out, grind the end of the bolt flush with the shaft, and remove the bolt and plate. Use lock tight when you put the bolt back on.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending
Hi

I have a Holley 600 with a small hole (2.5 - 3mm) drilled in each of the front butterlies. I was going to solder them to day when I noticed they were steel not brass. Thought about puting a small brass nut and bolt in each hole and dropping some solder on the nut in order to lock it and prevent it vibrating loose and touring around the engine! Any suggestions about filling them in please?

Thanks
First off, what engine is this attached to? The use of a hole in the butterfly is there to address idle air needs with a long duration cam. These require a fast idle which to get would, without any other compensation, require opening the throttle blades to a point where the transfer slots become exposed. This causes an excessively rich idle that you can't control with a huge bog before main-metering kicks in. The holes in the throttle blades were put there to allow extra air the engine needs without having to open the throttle blades so far as to expose the transfer slots.

So before you modify the carb, the first question I have is, what is the cam so as to determine whether the holes are still needed.

Bogie
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Its onlya goodwrench crate engine 290hp with a mild street cam. I have asked the dealer here in the uk untill im blue in the face what the cam is. He doesnt know, he just ships theses motors in from mexico. Given only 2 choices. a huge bog or 1200 idle in an auto I will have to live in a bog! or try a deamon carb????
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The 260hp GW crate motor uses a stock SBC cam 195-202 .390 .410 112

The 290HP GW motor uses The old GM L-46 350-350hp --L82 cam
222-222 .450-.460 114. Sucks in this low compression motor.
A simple cam swap to something with 204 to 212@.050 duraion is a nice improvement. Drilled throttle blades mod is not required on this motor.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Have you adjusted the rear butterfly stops closed, they may be open.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.