How to find an elusive engine miss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to find an elusive engine miss

I am having a tough time getting my SBC 406 to run smooth. I have tried everything that should determine where the miss is coming from. It seems its not one cylinder, but the engine miss as a whole. You can spray water on each header tube while its running and the water evaporates instantly on each. You can pull the plug wires off one at a time and the engine slows down with each one pulled off. However it slows down more with certain ones pulled off, its not equal. All of the spark plugs look the same.
I've thought it seems like a vacuum leak. I just replaced the intake gasket. Everything on the engine has been replaced. I've done a compression check with good results. Cam is not flat. I've checked timing, firing order, and advance.
I'll tell you what the engine does. At idle it shakes, but not because of the cam. When you speed it up, the engine still shakes and feels rough. The miss is there from idle on up. Going down the road it feels like a surge. It will jerk and buck, almost like its not getting enoguh gas. If thats the case, I don't know why it smells like its running rich. I've heard an incomplete burn will smell bad like a rich burn. My fuel filter is full of gas and it has good pressure.
I have suspected my Holley carb, it was rebuilt a few months ago. I've had it apart several times and all of the gaskets look like the right ones. One last thing is the idle mixture screws don't respond well. You can screw one side all the way in and it will keep running. It will only die when both are screwed in.

I haven't been able to determine if its running rich or lean. I'm thinking its more of an air/fuel issue than timing. With the rough idle its hard to tell if its a vacuum leak.
Thanks for your time and help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4speed57
I am having a tough time getting my SBC 406 to run smooth. I have tried everything that should determine where the miss is coming from. It seems its not one cylinder, but the engine miss as a whole. You can spray water on each header tube while its running and the water evaporates instantly on each. You can pull the plug wires off one at a time and the engine slows down with each one pulled off. However it slows down more with certain ones pulled off, its not equal. All of the spark plugs look the same.
I've thought it seems like a vacuum leak. I just replaced the intake gasket. Everything on the engine has been replaced. I've done a compression check with good results. Cam is not flat. I've checked timing, firing order, and advance.
I'll tell you what the engine does. At idle it shakes, but not because of the cam. When you speed it up, the engine still shakes and feels rough. The miss is there from idle on up. Going down the road it feels like a surge. It will jerk and buck, almost like its not getting enoguh gas. If thats the case, I don't know why it smells like its running rich. I've heard an incomplete burn will smell bad like a rich burn. My fuel filter is full of gas and it has good pressure.
I have suspected my Holley carb, it was rebuilt a few months ago. I've had it apart several times and all of the gaskets look like the right ones. One last thing is the idle mixture screws don't respond well. You can screw one side all the way in and it will keep running. It will only die when both are screwed in.

I haven't been able to determine if its running rich or lean. I'm thinking its more of an air/fuel issue than timing. With the rough idle its hard to tell if its a vacuum leak.
Thanks for your time and help

Certainly the curb idle circuits aren't correct and need work or replacement. Is the Holley on a one or two plane manifold?

What is the base advance?

Bogie
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Does it have power brakes? My '73 Laguna has just recently developed a vacuum leak in the booster.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

The carb is on a single plane intake. This intake/carb combo have been together on this engine for a while with no problems until recently.

My car has manual brakes.

Thanks for the replies
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

What's the fuel pressure at the carb?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It does sound like a carb problem.

What size/model Holley and what jets are in it?

Did this problem begin right after rebuilding it?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Rough?

I ned to get in on this because I have a 97 GM 350 with the very same symptoms.
The only difference is I don't sense any "surge" at speed.
It is a 1997 with TBI.
I 'll be watching.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

I went ahead and changed my head gaskets and intake gaskets. The engine runs better now, but its still not perfect. I'm thinking its either carb or timing issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

power valve ?

A popped power valve in a Holley will do funny things.

Dan Hurst

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.