How to find parts...for old cars...in your local auto parts store!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to find parts...for old cars...in your local auto parts store!!

They used to have a big rack on the counter, maybe even 2 or 3, which were filled with things called CATALOGS. All the aftermarket parts suppliers printed one every couple of years with price sheets issued a few times a year.
Brake Parts: Ask for the Brake Parts Illustrated catalog if you need to match up parts by casting number, size, shape, etc. Hoses are available in most end configurations and lengths for darn near every thing ever made. (Example:, when needing a longer front hose for early Ford hydraulics(39-48) use the rear hoses from 60s Dodge Pickups, we also use them in the rear so we don't have to worry about 2 part numbers.) Some brake parts vendors have special catalogs for early application stuff, some have those parts listed in the back of the big book. Many wheel cylinders, master cylinders, springs and so on are still available but some are shown for a later application only.
Coil Springs: Ask to see the coil spring catalog, likely MOOG. This lists all available springs by application AND in the back by free height, compressed height, end style, spring rate, and wire size.
Ignition and tune-up stuff: May be in special "oldies" book or listed in the big book. The illustrated books show parts you can use with specifications, very very handy.
Engine Parts: much is still available for early engines, gasket sets, water pumps, thermostat housings, timing sets, bearings etc. See the appropriate catalogs.
U-joints: Find the U-joint you need to join that Chevy yoke to that Dodge or Ford pinion in the Conversion U-joint listings. Just look up both end applications and check the chart for where they are both shown, VOILA!!
Filters: Air Filter elements are listed by height, ID, OD as well as application so you can find something that will work. Oil filters are listed by styles, need a shorter filter for a Ford for frame clearance, you'll find it! Remote oil filter kits are also there, often cheaper than the speed parts places. I like the WIX brand.

So there it is. CUltivate a parts guy at your local store, go in, ask for the catalogs, look up your own stuff, save them the hassle and you the aggravation. ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Excellent post..Good job..Made it a sticky so it shows up..

Sam
Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Great post pasadenahotrod. In the days of computer searches the old way is sometimes the only way.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Absolutely agree on the "paper" catalogs thing mentioned above.

There are also some great on-line catalogs ... and getting to be more and better as time goes by.

Here are some of my favorites (exported from IE and posted on my personal web space):
My Favorites
Old 05-06-2007, 03:33 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

You are especially right with "cultivate a relationship". If you are friendly, likable, and interested in cars some knowledgable guy, or sometimes gal, will work hard to help you and suggest ways to find things or make other things work. Those jobs don't pay a lot of money, people keep them because they like them.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 PM

Favorites

Thanks GMC66 you saved me a lot of looking up sites. I checked some of those you list and they are great. Also, looked at your picture gallery and love the truck. I have 65 GMC. Would like to talk with you about the BBC install sometime
Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoteam
Thanks GMC66 you saved me a lot of looking up sites. I checked some of those you list and they are great. Also, looked at your picture gallery and love the truck. I have 65 GMC. Would like to talk with you about the BBC install sometime
I'll ecourage any of those who read this thread to add some of thier own favorite links. I don't know how much web-space I am allowed there ... but I could add quite a few, I would think ... and update the list.

If you're interested in the BBC installation, most of the details are in my project journal. Feel free to PM me with any questions as well if you like.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Cross Referance

There used to be very thick books publishised by "Mitchells" called "Cross Referance Guides". These could tell you what parts would interchange between different manufactures apllications. These manuals would give you a list of part numbers for one piece that is used by many different OEM's. Somewhere out there on the "Net", one could find access to these manuals and get the cross referance numbers needed. Happy Hunting! Yours, Westfaliaguy.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

The Hollander interchange manuals Were the bible of the wrecking yards in the old days. They show up on ebay and other places.
From checking the Mitchell interchange manuals it looks like most of them were for one year like their shop manuals. They were sold to dealerships and independent shops around the country.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Parts Interchange Manuals

Chopt 48 is correct! The "Hollander Interchange Manuals" were the best place to look for parts that would switch between one manufactures' car and another maker's vehicals. These manuals also included a list of standardized parts that all major manufactures used during the 60's and 70's. Your's, Westfaliaguy.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

mom and pop

There's still a few old time auto parts stores out there. I found one and bought a lot of parts there for my 69 Chevelle ...in stock and over the counter usually. When they didn't have the part, they knew where to get it, and got it fast. The place was in business since the 40's or 50's.

That one closed, but I found another one a little different where I can get top name parts at very good prices, and the guys behind the counter know what you are talking about. Plenty of large racks of paper catalogs behind the counter they use to look up your part.

Bottom line, find the local old time stores, what few are left, and give them your business, for your sake and theirs. Try the yellow pages to find the local mom and pop parts stores or ask your local car club where they get their parts.

If you keep feeding the chains, you eventually hurt yourself with young girls behind the counter punching the keyboard and asking if your car has air conditioning when you need a U joint.

Hey! I'm a techie ....but this is one area modern advances has hurt.

Steve
Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yea. I go to the small town carquest, that's right down the road. don't have most of what I need in stock, but, I can get everything else next day.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
They used to have a big rack on the counter, maybe even 2 or 3, which were filled with things called CATALOGS.
<snip>
Air Filter elements are listed by height, ID, OD as well as application so you can find something that will work.
<snip>
So there it is. CUltivate a parts guy at your local store, go in, ask for the catalogs, look up your own stuff, save them the hassle and you the aggravation. ENJOY!
Unfortunately the Mom & Pop stores are gone in my area so I'm stuck dealing with AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc. and I work shift work so it's hard for me to get there when the "good" parts clerks are there - I always seem to get the High School kid who doesn't know about catalogs and where they are located, he just knows the computer and for it he needs your year, make, model, engine, paint color, etc..

A while back I purchased a chrome air cleaner for my truck, the original was gone when we got the truck and I had one off another vehicle but it didn't fit right so when we put the Edelbrock intake on I bought a chrome air cleaner for it.

It's just a no-name unit bought at a swap meet. The filter has no writing on it so I don't know what it is. The AZ clerks can't help, remember the computer wants make, model, etc.. I've looked for an online catalog but haven't found one with dimensions listed yet . . . if anyone has such a catalog handy could ya lend me a hand and see if you can give me a brand/part # for a filter that's about 9-1/2" od, 8" id, and 2" tall?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Wix 46040 ?

That a pretty small air filter. (100 CFM)

Most of the full-sized chrome air cleaners used a Wix 42095 (250 CFM)

Wow ... I'm actually surprised at how low both of those CFM ratings are!

Waitaminute ... somethings hokey, here!!!
Even this monster-sized 427 truck filter (also used on the really big chrome air cleaners) Wix 42122 is only rated at 115 CFM ... no way!!!

42020 - very common Dodge (also used on propane systems)
46036 - common GM (v6?)
46040 - Common GM
42093 - GM vans
42095 - Common (older) GM
42098 - Common (newer) GM
42116 - 460 Ford
42073 - Ford v8's

Go to a NAPA store, and ask them to pull out the THICK filter catalog.
In the back of the book somewhere, there are several different air filter by size charts ... one of which is sorted by ID or OD.

Most parts guys will be able to pick out the "most common" part number of the few possibilities within a given size range. Most of those chrome air cleaners were designed to use a readily available "common" air filter.

Last edited by 66GMC; 10-09-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 PM

How to find parts...for old cars...in your local auto parts store!!

If you have a store that sells WIX Brand filters then have them look in the WIX Racing filters. They do make a special race line and in fact it is the most used in NASCAR. You should then be able to find a good flowing filter with the size you need. Also, check and see the size of the 3" high filter for an 80's Chevy diesel powered car. That is what I use on my 69 with 14" filter base. Your smaller one should also show up at several different heights.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.