how to fix dirt in finish???(pics) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to fix dirt in finish???(pics)

well i shot paint today. it came out ok beside one thing, dirt. that crap looks like pimples there on the paint. i want to fix it but im scared i can messed it up. what really scares me is that those big pimples come before paint so when i sand i go thru everything.

i guess i didnt clean enough and i had ir going thru that i wanted as it would take the fumes away. should i wet everything as floors road ect?

other thing: beside the dirt what do you think of my first paint shot?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

If you haven't removed the tape yet, sanding the whole thing and reshooting is not that big a job. I did it twice the first car I painted. Looks like a very good job otherwise though. How about a shot of the whole car?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

You've got not much of a choice but to color sand and see if you can get the dirt out. If not, you'll have to resand and reshoot. Don't let the tape sit on there for more than a couple of days. You'll have a bigger mess.

Sorry for the bad news dude. Just chalk it up to experience.

and Yeah, wet the floors before painting, and don't let the air hose get over the car while painting. You can really drop a lot of dirt from the air hose after draging it around on the floor.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

im shooting a panel at a time. the paint looks great and i believe most of the stuff is on the clear coats. im thinking that by sanding the clear 90% would come off. if it looks decent enough ill keep going.

thanks for the input. any other suggestions beside sanding everything off and starting over??

if i go thru the paint in some spots can that be sanded and fixed to look ok???
Old 04-04-2007, 04:15 PM
More Horsepower Than Brains

Last journal entry: Check it out
Last photo:

you might use a nib file on the bigger spots. It cuts off the high area so you dont have to sand so much.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I wouldn't sand everything off. If you can't save the clear coat, i would sand the car smooth, and reshoot over the current finish. But give it a few days to finish flashing before repainting.

I would think that in most areas you would just have to scuff the finish before reshooting.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countilaw
I wouldn't sand everything off. If you can't save the clear coat, i would sand the car smooth, and reshoot over the current finish. But give it a few days to finish flashing before repainting.

I would think that in most areas you would just have to scuff the finish before reshooting.
you meant reshooting clear right? i hope i dont go thru the paint so i can just clear the areas that are messed up. but if i go thru what do i have to do?? shoot a bit of paint on the area and clear and thats it?????????

it looks good though
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM

ok this got me to wondering..... say after i shoot a basecoat, is it ok to run a tack rag over the base to pick up any dust before shooting clear ? looks like a good job other than the dust particles

stanger
Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 AM

help with paint

sorry about the dirt in the paint that sucks but otherwise it looks great. like the other guys said try sanding out as much as you can,and go from there.If you do need to shoot more base and/or clear try grounding the car to floor . i do that every time i shoot a car, cause as you paint and the air hits the car it creates static electricity which only draws in more dirt and dust. be sure to blow yourself off really good before you get started alot of the dirt/dust comes off of the painter himself,maybe grab yourself a paint suit. and as for using a tack rag on basecoat yes yes yes just be sure that the base has had enough time to flash off so you dont leave any markings in the base. dont use the tack rag all folded up unfold it it and fluff it up and use it like that,it will work better and last longer. try those little ideas and see how it goes good luck to ya.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Open your tack rags and lay them out the day before and let them air dry a bit. That way you won't rub any wet rosin on the surface to be painted.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

great info here!!!!!

after reading this is what ill change:

ill wet the surroundings, ill klean as much i as i can the day before to catch any new dirt in my garage, ill use the tag rag much more than i did, ill create a booth with tarps, and i will definetly ground the car.

i still need a bit more info:

the liquid in the tack rags is bad for the paint? i stopped using it because it left a bit of a trace, is that bad for the paint??

ill open em a day before as countilaw suggested.

thanks for being so helpfull!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM

i lay a chain across the leaf springs and let it touch the floor and i also unhook the negative battery post.

stanger
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Hi P.R.,I can give you a few tips.If the dirt is under the colorcoat,most likely you'll have to reshoot the car.If you do,there are a couple of things you can do to insure against so much dirt in your finish.
Push the car out of the painting area after you've sanded it out.Sweep the floor and when your finished,sweep it again.If you can afford to,go to your local building supply and pick up enough clear plastic drop sheets to temporarily staple to the underside of your overhead rafters and to cover the walls.
Try to tuck all of your garage junk behind the plastic on the walls and get it out of the area your going to paint in.Clean off your work bench and drape plastic over it.If you have stuff underneath your work bench let the plastic hang like a curtain over the front.Put about five layers of newspaper down on the benchtop for a surface to mix and pour paint.
Clean your car while its outside.Open the doors,hood and trunk and blow everything out with your air hose, pay close attention to cleaning inside the wheel wells and grill area, wipe everything down with a damp cloth and then do it all again.You need to use a paint preparation solvent to scrub the paint surfaces.Be sure to use a dry clean rag,like a t-shirt with no printing on it.Let the solvent air dry before you do anything else.
Wet the floor down with water really well then bring the car in.
If your shooting with the garage door open(you should be),wet down the area in front of the garage out to about fifty feet.The car can build up a static charge while spraying it and this attracts dirt and dust to your paint surface,so hang a chain off the rear axel and ground out the car to the floor.Make sure your ready to paint(drain the water out of your compressor tank,clear your air hose of any moisture and have a fresh disposable air filter on your spraygun) THEN tack off the car.
DO NOT press down on the tack cloth,use very light pressure and don't let anyone touch the car after it's tacked off. Get a good respirator mask on and get to spraying!

I have been painting off and on for thirty+ years and I've sprayed this way in a pinch to turn out a couple show cars in the process.Hope this helps in some way.
Jeff
P.S. If you have any air leaking on the hose coupling to your spraygun,tape a small rag around the fitting to stop the possibility of any water spitting out of the coupler and dripping onto the paint surface.Wipe the hose down before you start.My nightmare are your tips..

Last edited by Jeff302; 04-06-2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Javelin - I just shot my first paint last weekend (consider that a disclaimer) - just the bumper for my car. I ended up with a lot more trash than I predicted, and thought the exact same thing as you (i.e. where is that dirt trapped...had some mountains too). Anyway, I tackled it with 1500 grit, and then 2000 yesterday and everything came out pretty dang well. Followed that with Meguirs #2, and then #9 today on foam pads (cutting pad with #2, and polishing with #9).

Later,

Chris

Last edited by cab; 04-07-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typos

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.