how to fix my screw up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to fix my screw up

well im new to sheetmetal welding. i got my patch panel in no problem but got a few blow throughs from just being carless. how should I fix this? piece of cooper/brass behind it and weld it shut? Its not perfect but its close enough that bondo will be able to fix it just fine. im using c25 gas with .023 wire. Here are some pictures of the fubar.

here is what i started out with.

panel welded in.

the blow throughs.

patch panel cut out

any help would be apperciated.

thanks

Ty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Ty, It looks to me like you just need some more practice welding. Spot the holes untill they are gone. Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Ty, It looks to me like you just need some more practice welding. Spot the holes untill they are gone. Bob
Yeah i cant weld sheet metal worth **** but am trying.

should i put a piece of copper behind what im welding to be able to puddle the weld and displace some heat? trying to get this done so i can prime something tat i actually sort of know how to do.

thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I think you would have been better off putting the whole panel on. Don't you just love Champion socks? I do. I'm wearing Nike socks now, they are much thinner and they don't last nearly as long as the Champions do.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoddy_f-body
I think you would have been better off putting the whole panel on. Don't you just love Champion socks? I do. I'm wearing Nike socks now and they don't last nearly as long as the Champions.
the whole 1/4 is clean besides that little spot why would i put it all on?

there nice socks, i wear w/e my mom buys to replace my stinky ones
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

In the photo it looks like some other patch work behind the wheel opening. BTW i like a guy who works out in the gargae in his socks..
Old 04-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I use a alum plate because it will not leave anything behind like brass or copper will.

Craig
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 AM

Last photo:

You should in the future try to overlap the patch by 1/4" so it will not blow thru so easy at least until you become better at welding. Also it is better to cut the corners rounded rather than sharp 90 degree seems to keep heat down and warp less. Since you already have the holes you should either make tiny patches or just quick spot welds on the edge of holes until you get it sealed up. A tig is better suited for patch repair.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 AM

Last photo:

You had a complete panel and by the look of the rest of the old quarter you should have replace it completely or at least the bad half. There is previous body work looks like either a bad dent or bad rust from before. I hope you'll seek more advice before hacking up more brand new replacement panels.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:52 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Your doing just fine... don't let it get ya down.

Trigger you welder with fast bursts giving time in between for cooling and let the holes fill a little at a time.

Put your boots back on!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln9
You had a complete panel and by the look of the rest of the old quarter you should have replace it completely or at least the bad half. There is previous body work looks like either a bad dent or bad rust from before. I hope you'll seek more advice before hacking up more brand new replacement panels.

if I cant do a small patch panel properly how do you thnik a while 1/4skin replacment would of turned out?

If i knew what i was doing or had someone to help me i would do the whole 1/4 skin replacment but the rest of it is pretty fine expect for that some areas that I will be able to hammer and dolly out I did what i thought I might be able to accomplish.

thanks for the advice, gonna try and fix it tonight and then I will post up some pictures.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

When you are ready to use body filler do a first coat with the filler that has fiberglass strands and is water proof. This way if you have a hole you did not see the filler will seal it. "Kitty hair" will stop moisture from contacting your body filler and bubbling the paint later.

Fillers can absorb moisture and create a problem so it is best to protect the filler from moisture.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

replacing the 1/4 skin isn't as hard as you think. Mostly just more time involved in cutting the old off and prepping it for the new. You would actually have less welding to do if you get it right and spot weld it on the flanges. Hey atleast your giving it a shot.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

well I realized by the time if I fix it its gonna be a piece of **** so im seeking help. My dads friend owns a body shop but they dont like doing resto work but has guys that are willing to do it on the side. So when my dad plays golf with him hes gonna talk to him about it and see if he can get a guy over to check it out and hopefully do new 1/4 skins or whatever he thinks would fix the problem the best. Hopefully he could do it out of my garage because I am not able to move it at the time with out having to go buy rims and tires which im trying to avoid for a little while. Trying to get this damn thing ready for bondo and primer.

Thanks for all the help.

Ty
Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Why not just finish what you started? You had a plan so go through with it. Even if you don't end up with the brand new quarter a pro would have done you'll still have something better than it was. If it fails and rusts in a few years just redo it properly. You will be better just getting it finished unless this is a show and not a daily driver.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.