how to fix a small run "single stage" - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes Autoracer, those do work well, they are great for other little imperfections like dirt and such.

By the way 68Dustin, the car looks great...sure can tell that this isn't your first rodeo.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Yes Autoracer, those do work well, they are great for other little imperfections like dirt and such.

By the way 68Dustin, the car looks great...sure can tell that this isn't your first rodeo.

Ray
thanks! all self taught online forum school lol..

So how long should the paint cure before fixing anything. this is my second single stage. the 2 stage paint jobs were longer to paint, but easier not to get any runs.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Did you add hardener? If so I would color sand (if that is in the plan...) the whole car after about a week. Leave the "run" alone for a few weeks just to make sure it is set up ALL the way thru. If you don't, it will start getting gummy and will make a mess of the repair.
The car does look nice! Good job!
Mark
Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

SS and base clear are pretty much the same . treat it the same way . good test is a fingernail on the sag.
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I "disassemble" a razor blade (pry off the reinforcement piece) so that it's one flat sharp blade and I can get dead flat to the finish. Then I tape on both sides of the run and cut side to side (gentle and not too much forward pressure, let the blade slice through it) using the tape as a guide until it's cut off. This get's pretty close. Then I sand level with 600 on a small pink eraser and work up from there.

I like Shine's technique though of 320 sanding right through the tape. Makes sense.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

razor blades and shaving blocks can leave a scratch you cant get rid of . the tape method has very little risk for the diy guy.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
razor blades and shaving blocks can leave a scratch you cant get rid of . the tape method has very little risk for the diy guy.
You're right, that's probably a little safer. With the tape and caution (take it slow) it seems to work pretty good.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dustin View Post
thanks! all self taught online forum school lol..

So how long should the paint cure before fixing anything. this is my second single stage. the 2 stage paint jobs were longer to paint, but easier not to get any runs.
yeah it does look nice and that lower body line would be prone to runs. I could envision even seasoned pros getting a sag or two there so be proud.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Paint file should work great
Paint Planer Painter's NIB Run File Blocker Razor | eBay
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I use a paint stick with 800 or 1000. Mostly 1000 and I'll take my time. When it's really close to being level I use a hard block with 1200 feathering it out and 1500. By the time it's level I only have to use a 2000. I also use a blade carefully and it works great, but it has to be hard as a rock or chunks will fly. Don't ask me how I know. I'm also hearing about poly putty being used to sand the run while the putty sacrifices itself and not the surrounding paint. Sounds like a good idea but never tried it and not sure if I will. Everyone's different. I just do what works for me and like electricity, I take the path of least resistance.

Often times you think you got the run out but the outline will still be there. Sometimes you have to leave them there or push it. I usually will go back and forth between sanding and buffing til it's gone or good enough without pushing my luck.

EDIT: not sure about single stage. Don't spray it or is use it but the technique I use works for me with 2 stage.
You guys never cease to teach me things. Shine, I would have never thought of the tape over the run trick. I have used it on either side before with good results, but I'm sure the tape over the run would work well too. I have used putty (evercoat 2 part glaze) over runs before and that works pretty well also. It is nice to read a little and learn a lot thought, that's why I come here every night an look around

Kelly
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
.... It is nice to read a little and learn a lot thought, that's why I come here every night an look around

Kelly
No kidding about that. There's no way all of us could have thought of exactly the same solutions to lifes problems.

A team is better than a loner. I spent most of my first years learning to finish by mistakes as my only teacher. It's great to add the voices of experience along side that.

I'm learning body work right now and pretty much by watching the pros right here.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

777Funk, X2 on the learning thing, It'a amazing how after all the years that many of us have invested in this trade that there is always room for learning. I apprenticed under some very knowledgeable Technicians that took me under their wing. The first thing I learned was that attitude would serve me as much and even more than any natural ability, if a person has natural ability finding the technician that has the patience to hone that ability only adds to what can be a rewarding experience. Some have that natural talent but, with out the passion and to some extend the ability to strive for improvement on every job, often interest is lost.

I look at the end results achieved by by 68Dustin, it is obvious that he has the desire, the passion to keep on improving on the natural ability he has. It's contributions from guys like Shine and many others that open the mind to ideas that many hadn't thought of...myself included. I've been on this forum for just under 1 year, I joined to learn more about drive train, suspension and interior and this forum has more than met my expectations.

Take this thread for example, I had used the tape trick to remove runs, Shine opened my eyes to a solution that I was using but, improved on the technique. I sincerely thank Shine for that and hope I can pass that newly gained knowledge to some one else...I have always said, knowledge is power, passing the knowledge on is powerful...these are things that empower those that have an open mind and a willingness to learn.

69Dustin, you asked the perfect question,,,"over the run or beside the run"...that made me think, analyse the solution and figure out that what Shine had posted was logical. I'm excited about getting my next run (if that's possible) and using this technique. Isn't it great that after 30 plus years in the Auto Body trade, I can look forward to repairing a mistake with, for me, is a new and improved method...where else can you get diverse type of information. Sometimes we feel that we have the answer and in many cases we do, I enjoy posts such as this because it humbles myself and with an open mind, reminds me that even at my age with the experience that I do possess, I just garnered more. I appreciate that and thank everyone for their input.

Ray
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

That's a great post, man. I totally agree with being open to altering things for better. I see a lot of guys out there who are good but they get good at one place, adopt all their procedures from them, and you can't suggest nothing to them cause they'll say something like, "I've been doing this 40 years." these are the guys who were once amazing and then once technology took off they got lost. They'll put kitty hair on everything non steel(lol) and swear by it. That's like a red flag saying, "don't suggest nothing to this guy"-lol
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You no Tech69, your right, The guy that says he's been doing something for a long time and feels he knows everything...his age doesn't matter, he's old in that sense. Being open minded and listening to the idea, versus looking at the age of an individual opens the door to great learning possibilities. I think I learned more about being a parent from my children than from parents...LOL.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
tech69 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. ya I cant complain this whole paint job & the satin should only run me about 250, but many many hours of body work and sanding

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.