How To Fix Speedometer After Changing Gear Ratio - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 05:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How To Fix Speedometer After Changing Gear Ratio

I went from a 2.73 rear end to a 3.55 my speeometer is way off. is their a way to fix this problem any help would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I just did a gear change from 2.29 to 3.73's this past Saturday and have since ordered my new speedometer gears to correct the problem.

It also depends on which transmission you have, I am guessing either a TH-350 or TH-400.

The speedometer gears will need to be figured with the tire size you intend on running with the gear ratio you just installed.

I have seen litle information on replacing the speedo gears on those transmissions as I have not run into the need to do so yet, but for the TH-2004R and TH-700R4 transmissions- Bowtie Overdrives has a calculator on their website and also sells all the individual parts and gears needed for this change.

If I find this info I will post it here AND reference it in my Transmission Info sticky post at the top of this forum also.
TCI's speedo gear calculator and information.

TCI's Speedometer gear part numbers and identification info.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 07-12-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

i have a 350 th my tire size is 27" i would love to know what speedo gear i need? if anyone can help me
Old 07-12-2004, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Got tire diameter & gear ratio? Go here:

www.novaresource.org/speedo.htm
www.novaresource.org/speedo2.htm
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by jimfulco
Got tire diameter & gear ratio? Go here:

www.novaresource.org/speedo.htm
www.novaresource.org/speedo2.htm
Those links are informative but takes quite a while to read and figure what you need, I have had those pages sent to me for my information sticky post.
BUT, the links I posted give a simple fill-in-the-blank calculator.

If you have a drive gear with 15 teeth, you would need a driven gear with either 39 or 40 teeth whichever is available for your transmission.

The easiest way to determine what the drive gears' toth count is look at the color and go back onto the TCI website links above and identify that particular color with it's corresponding assigned tooth count.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Another option if you strike out with in-tranny speedo drive gear changes is take it to your local speedometer shop. Most medium sized cities have then - truckers have to certify their speedos so there are shops to service them. Look in the yellow pages. They can put on a little axillary gear box that will perfectly calibrate your speedo and will even issue a laminated certification card!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:44 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

Some of the better transmission shops should have them too. Gears that is. I ended up changing the gear and the small housing it rides in. I was a little less scientific with my trial and error method. Luckily the transmission shop guy is a friend of mine and put up with my searching through his gear collection.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My local transmission shop had NO resources to even look up the gearset I needed to correct my speedometer in my TH-700R4.
The calculator over at Bowtie Overdrives told me I needed a 15-tooth drive gear, and a 43-tooth driven gear to correct my speedometer with my existing 26 inch diameter tires and my newly installed 3.73 gears, as the currently installed speedo gears say I am moving 85 miles per hour but am actually going 51, WAY OFF, but no surprise.

My local tranny shop couldn't even confirm the EXISTANCE of the 40-45 tooth driven gear housing, let alone get one.

Besides Bowtie Overdrives, another source with calculators and gear sets with every part necessary for the speedometer gear change is TransmissionCenter.net has parts for several different transmissions. These guys even have the gear box adapters willys36 was mentioning.

Another source for speedometer gears is TCI Automotive, and they too- have an online calculator, plus gears for more than just GM transmissions.

Here is TCI's other speedo gear page with part numbers.

And for you 70SPORT, your transmission drive gear should have 17-teeth, and driven gear should have 45-teeth for a correct speedometer using your 3.55 gears and 27 inch tall tire.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 07-19-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Just go to a chevy dealership parts dept. They'll tell you what you need and sell it to you on the spot.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They didn't have exactly what I needed and would have had to order a couple of the individual items for more than what BTO wanted even with shipping.
I got mine in about an hour ago and it pretty much went flawlessly, even for my first time opening a transmission to change the speedometer gears. The right tools help quite a bit.

The only real issue I had with the whole thing was the drive gear still had some of the melted cutting process flash that needed trimmed.

I took pictures of the entire procedure for journal purposes which I will eventually get around to.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

M&M the biggest housing I could find was a 43 housing #1362077. I used a 43 tooth driven gear with my stock 18 tooth drive gear. That put my speedo within 5 mph, I then added a adapter off of a parts truck that I had and that put my speedo dead on. The little gear box was made by stewart warner, 666f-y10, 8974b.

I have the misfortune of living in a small town so the dealer was absolutely no help and there are no speedo shops for a 100 miles or so.

Also my trans guy is kind of a pack rat. He has at least 5 of everything in the shop or out in the yard. If you want I can post a pic of the housing if you are interested.

John

Last edited by propaniac; 07-20-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Bowtie Overdrives had exactly what I needed, I had the phenolic (plastic resin) 34-39 housing already in the transmission, but with my tire size and new gears I had just installed-needed the 15 drive and 43 driven gears I had hoped to get the 40-45 housing from my tranny shop on trade for parts or work but he didn't have ANY.

I had originally ordered just the gearset from Bowtie Overdrives, but after finding my tranny guy had nothing in his shop had to redo the order to include the bigger housing.

My tranny guy did however give me the tailshaft housing seal for free though, and it really was a self explanatory procedure even though Bowties' diagram for the clip and drive gear needed a few simple words to fully explain itsself, and the gears put my speedo back to where it should be.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.