How to get 1 HP per CI??? How could one get 1.25HP per CI - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

eatonde,
no harm no foul but if you had worded your original question better this thread would have read entirely different....

something like:
"can I get 500HP on a 400 with vortecs/280 cam/5.7 rods/etc that I already do have on a limited budget"...
(instead of what's the formula for 1.5HP per cube)

your kinda' yelling at us abit (great stress relief and definitely ok with me,) cause we didn't know what your actual real goal is....
(we can't read your mind over the net)
your kinda' yelling at yourself also,,,,frustration does lead to anger....

being a new first time dad is total HELL on anybody/everybody for stress and focus and concentration!!!!!
speaking for myself,,,,yell and vent away on this board,,,makes me happy that you will be in a better frame of mind....

comments:
a dirt track 400 "car" to a daily driver 400 "car" is truly "apples to oranges" in almost every respect possible for motor life comparison ....

don't have motor build $$$$, then strip every last pound of weight off the car possible for next to no bucks....
"car" performance is all about power to "weight" ratio!!!

there are literally 100+ "freebie" simple hot rod modification tricks to help a car perform better that do work,,,,you can have 100's of hours of build and hobby enjoyment without worrying about or spending money....

build the motor as the last step?
(when there is abit less stress and more clear thinking hopefully??)
the more time and thought and research you put into it the better it will be!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
eatonde,
no harm no foul but if you had worded your original question better this thread would have read entirely different....

something like:
"can I get 500HP on a 400 with vortecs/280 cam/5.7 rods/etc that I already do have on a limited budget"...
(instead of what's the formula for 1.5HP per cube)

your kinda' yelling at us abit (great stress relief and definitely ok with me,) cause we didn't know what your actual real goal is....
(we can't read your mind over the net)
your kinda' yelling at yourself also,,,,frustration does lead to anger....

being a new first time dad is total HELL on anybody/everybody for stress and focus and concentration!!!!!
speaking for myself,,,,yell and vent away on this board,,,makes me happy that you will be in a better frame of mind....

comments:
a dirt track 400 "car" to a daily driver 400 "car" is truly "apples to oranges" in almost every respect possible for motor life comparison ....

don't have motor build $$$$, then strip every last pound of weight off the car possible for next to no bucks....
"car" performance is all about power to "weight" ratio!!!

there are literally 100+ "freebie" simple hot rod modification tricks to help a car perform better that do work,,,,you can have 100's of hours of build and hobby enjoyment without worrying about or spending money....

build the motor as the last step?
(when there is abit less stress and more clear thinking hopefully??)
the more time and thought and research you put into it the better it will be!!!!

Besides weight, aerodynamics are a HUGE factor- I argue that its a lot more important than weight on a street car, for a strip car its a toss up. And If you have a limited budget and want a fun toy try ot use the bst factory parts available and build for a large amount of torque- it'll last longer and be cheaper to build. Vortec heads, LT1 rods, solid flat tappet cams, LS6 valve springs, a lot of great parts that are relatively cheap. Midwest Motorsports sells a cam under MWM 108 that is a really fun cam on the street in a large displacement smal block. That cam in a 400 block with Vortecs and flat tops with a performer RPM intake and a basic holley carb is a great low bucks build that sounds awesome and will give you a really good dyno curve considering the limited capital investment.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
drive it like you stole it

Last photo:

Alot of manufactures talk CFM at .500 lift but few tell you how much cfm up to .500 and after. I'm no expert but a long duration of good cfm (throughout the entire duration of the cam) sounds better than a short burst close to .500.
Afr gives you those #'s,,,,does patriot or gm?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
drive it like you stole it

Last photo:

Sorry,,,guess I'm too slow typn,,,,tried to get this in way earlier
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

flow numbers

yes GM performance and patriot give flow numbers. Not quite as good as AFR but the Patriots can get very close if done right.

The fab/machine shop/ racing parts suplier that I was looking into buying the patriost from offers them CNC gasket matched and bowl vlended, and Offers a money back garrentee that the heads will flow 253 cfm @.500 and 267@ .600. He does all hid own in house testing.

I'm not sure on the vortecs, I'd say thier prolly around 230cfm @.500, but thats just a shot in the dark guess???

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.