how to get 3:08 gears to spin the rear tires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how to get 3:08 gears to spin the rear tires

i have 3:08 gears in my truck and it will spin but real slow how do i get it to stop. and how do i get an open diff to catch posi thanks zach

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 02:35 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

How do you get what to stop?

As far as spinning both rear tires you need to replace the current open differential with either a limited slip differential or a locker. In a 4x4 a locker is a very good way to go. If you go with a locker then a Detroit is the best but probably most expensive route. You can also buy a Lock Right or EZ Locker, these are about half the cost of a full size locker and only replace the spider gears and the side gears and keep the original carrier. They are not nearly as durable as a full size Detroit locker but they do work if you're careful with them. I have a Lock Right in the rear axle of my Blazer and haven't had any problems with it but I rarely take it off-road and only have 31" tires.

There are other ways to "catch posi" but a locker or limited slip are the two most common and most effective ways to distribute power to both tires.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:05 AM

how would i distrubte power envenly
because when try it will only spin right but every once in a while it will spin thre left only
Old 11-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chevy4x4
how would i distrubte power envenly
because when try it will only spin right but every once in a while it will spin thre left only

You can't really count on spinning both tires with an open diff. You would need a lot of horsepower and most likely bad traction.

Go to a posi and you don't have to fiddle with it.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chevy4x4
when try it will only spin right but every once in a while it will spin thre left only
In an open differential power is sent to the tire with the least traction, that's just the way they work because of the nature of their design. If you want to distribute power to both tires then read what I wrote in my previous post.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Usally in an open differential the passenger side tire will spin so if you get it spinning good crank the wheel left and it should burn posi, but it may just unload the driver side. As for the gears most people think 3.08s are to high but my K10 will burn just fine with them. I also wouldnt recemend doing too many burnouts if you have a 10 bolt.

P.S. Quik Lok $279
Old 11-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

put an air bag under the right side leaf spring, blow it up a little, you'll spin both tires. it preloads the suspension
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

how could i get them to spin faster right now they spin real slow i got 33`s on a 12bolt with np203 thats has been converted to part time. this is my first one that i have had im 16 my other truck thats was a 99 chevy silverado with 10 bolt and 3:73s would do it no matter what whats the differs but gears
Old 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Why are you worried about burnouts anyway? Light truck tires aren't cheap and you just want to burn your tires down and have to worry about replacing them? I don't know about you but when I was 16 I couldn't afford a set of tires. Heck, even now I don't want to shell out $300 for a new set of rear tires just because I fried them off...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Why are you worried about burnouts anyway? Light truck tires aren't cheap and you just want to burn your tires down and have to worry about replacing them? I don't know about you but when I was 16 I couldn't afford a set of tires. Heck, even now I don't want to shell out $300 for a new set of rear tires just because I fried them off...
a friend of mine loves to smoke off the tires on his '94 GMC 1500, buys used tires, now he just recently was given a set of what he called " nice " tires, they were/ are worn out daytona's just legal enough to pass inspecion.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Burnouts are cool

Some things never change. I remember a guy, friend of a friend, when I was in high school, (in '78), who had this beat to death,not a straight panel anywhere, 68 f 250 long bed 4X4. His dad was a guy who, ( i think), did a little dealer sponsored racing back in the day and he had an extra 427 side oiler with all kinds of go fast stuff that they put in that old f 250. It had locker in back, limited slip in front , big gumbo mudder tires ,at the time I think 33" were HUGE and a 4 speed....

I guess dad was well off, because...
Zoom, (we called him zoom because he wore these thick glasses), would put it in high 4wd, 2nd gear, turn up that 427 to about 4500, dump the clutch and bury the gas pedal and it looked and sounded like the world was coming to an end, smoke and screeching and all those big tires frying and that big gnarly truck drifting and sliding every which a way and rubber flakes raining down like black stinky snow.

He so many sets of 4 wheel fishtailing and sideways black burnout marks in front of his house you could not see virgin patch of pavement. When things were just right all of the tires would not make hardly any sound at all except for this zzzzzzzz sound . But that 427 sounded sweeeet

That was a sight to see And that old ford lasted for a bunch of years until all of the running gear was just shot.

Guess what the guy does today....Tester at underwriters laboratories doing failure analysis.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 11-22-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72

WHAT you don't remember 16 ? I do and I'm 45yrs old, my 1st car a 67 GTO 389 & 3x2s & a 4 Speed in it when I bought it, it was a used car of course, it was 10yrs old. I had no late model 4x4s. I bought the car from summer jobs at age 14yrs. my uncle helped me for 2yrs. it had cragger ss all around and N50s on the rear when I bought it. 8mons after I turned 16 I put the 6th set of tires on the rear and a fresh 400 a couple mons later. this was burn outs and getting them stock tires Hot to race. I funded my own fun. but in 14mons I learned as then I had a bank loan for the new 400 & clutch & detroit locker ect.

prob would not do it that way again if I was 16, but I had one of the fastest cars in my small town of BBC 65 & 66 impalas & Chevells and a 401 nail head 66 Buick GS 4 speed car & BBC & SBC Camaros a few mopars ect.

Them were the days

yeah I hate buying tires now too, I think I hated then, but I was young & dumb and keep it up, till tell I had to speak to a loan officer with my grandpa as a co signer, then reality hit, I paid my notes off and still bank there today, of course the banks changed names.........

Mustangsaly
Old 11-22-2006, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
WHAT you don't remember 16 ?
I had a 4 cyl Isuzu Trooper when I was 16. It was never able to do a burnout. Although I did try to take it offroad a few times. With a truck I'd much rather have to replace a set of tires because I burned them up trying to hill climb or some other 4x4 related activity.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Put a limited slip center carrier to spin both tires.

If you what to spin those 33's faster then you will need more
low rpm torque. A higher stall torque converter and a higher gear to make up for the 33's will help a lot. Try some 3.73's or 4.11's to go with the 33's.

A 28 inch tire with a 3.08 gear is like a 33 with a 3.63 gear.
A 33 with a 3.08 gear is like a 28 inch tire with a 2.61 gear.
In other words, you are asking a lot out of those 3.08's with 33's.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Are you trying to do a brake burn (as I call them?) if so get the tire(s) spinning and try letting off the brake a bit that usually gets them going faster. You could back off you rear brakes a little also.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.