Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to get a Chevy 302 under 10:1 CR
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 01:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to get a Chevy 302 under 10:1 CR

Hi.
Firstly a couple of apologies/Disclaimers
I am located in Australia so my applogy for not being able to interact directly because of the time difference. I guys gotta sleep!

Secondly I wont pretend that I know a lot about engines.

I recently bought a 57 Vette in from the US with what I was told was a rebuilt stock 283 engine.

After giving it to my uncle (who is a retired mechanic and a chev nut) we discovered that it was actually a 302 with 12.5:1 CR TRW pistons, 5.7" Carillo rods, roller rockers etc etc etc. My Uncle was very excited and couldn't understand why I was told it was a stock 283 when it was so much better!!. I believe it is a 283 block bored out to 4" but has a genuine 302 Crank ( i think they had large journals or something). The head is 64 cc

Of course the problem we have is that the engine will not run on the available pump gas. The max octane we have is Australia is 98 and I am told we need to get the compression under 10:1 to get it to run.

I have scoured the internet but cannot find any flat top pistons for a 302 chev that I can get. The closest I came wa a set of KB with 11:1 with a 6cc head.

So without getting a set of custom pistons made which I have been told will cost me over $1000 I am looking for some other option

Any suggestions