Hot Rod Forum banner

How to get my car to do a burnout

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Ok, i wnat to do a burnout(ya ya I know) in my 1972 nova with a 250 and powerglide...cant seem to do it...(250 duh). Is dropping it from nuetral a bad idea? would it burnout? Would it wreck my PG? lol whats a way i can do a burnout? thx haha

#3 ·
Dropping it from neutral will do a great job of spreading the interior parts of your transmission all over the street. Not to mention how stupid you'll look to all your buddies.

As has been mentioned a line loc will help. It applies the front brakes only and allows the rear tires to spin. Also, since you're down on horsepower try pumping your rear tires up to about 40-50 psi. That will lower your traction and allow the tires to spin easier.

#7 ·
This is how we used to do it way back when. First, find a piece of blacktop (less traction than concrete) where there's nobody around. Back up a little, maybe 10mph, then put it in Low & floor it. Or, go forward about 10mph, then put it in Revenge & floor it. But we only had skinny tires back then, maybe 6.50x14's, so we didn't have to strain anything too much to break them loose. You will likely learn the meaning of the term "wheel hop" or "axle tramp" either way.

#10 ·
Back in the day Nova Burnout!

Back around 1970 we were hanging around a local engine builder/racer's
shop oohing and aahing over a new set of sticky drag slicks. A kid with a
small block Nova said he could spin them. -It Was On!- We bolted the slicks
on his car. He backed her out into the street, matted the gas pedal and side
stepped the clutch. The rear axle rotated in it's mounts about 90 degrees
and the car never moved. I forget what the bet was but I doubt if he was
forced to pay up. :drunk:

http://www.picturetrail.com/yelrah_dave

#11 ·
Stupid Kid tricks

Back around 71 (man was it really that long ago :cool: ) I guy I was going to trade school with asked the same question. He had his dads car which was a 68/9 4 door Pontiac full size. After much discussion he and a few of his buddies decided the best way would be to take a can of wheel bearing grease and srpead a strip of grease in front of one rear tire (open rear end).

Well, a bunch of us went to watch the big burn out. I got to admit it was really impressive :thumbup: ............and then......the tire ran out of the grease, got traction and snapped the shaft on the rear end pinion.

At least he had a project when we got to the part of the course on setting up rear ends. Of course his dad wasn't real happy :spank: .

#14 ·
A guy at work was telling me he had a 69 chevelle with a 307 and power glide.He said to do burnouts,He would get on a country road with no one around.He would then pull over to the side of the road and hang one tire in the grass,dirt,gravel whatever was on the shoulder,brake torque the car and get the tire spinning like crazy and pull on the asphalt

HUH?,Good story.

#15 · (Edited)
Keep your foot out of the gas until the selected gear engages (you'll feel the bump), then just stand on the gas real hard. No brakes involved, and no neutral drops. Neutral drops are REAL hard on trannys and other drive train parts. In my experience, it's a little easier to get a wheel to break loose going forward & shifting into reverse, but, as they say, your results may vary.

I make no guarantees on what's going to break and what's not, but a friend of mine who was an absolute terror on cars had 2 Malibu's ('65 w/283 & '69 w/307) with PG's and the only one that ever broke had a big bubble in the shaft where it broke. But again, we didn't have squat for traction, either.

Just a thought: oiling down the street is dangerous, not to mention quite rude. Same goes for coolant, and bleach can beget rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.