Hot Rod Forum banner

how to get new brake pipe totally straight?!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jrjeb 
#1 ·
I bought a roll of 1/4 piping to replace my front end brake pipes as part of a front end rebuild. The bay is open as my '29 runs sans hood.

I have tried to straighten a length of the curved pipe but find it almost impossible to get it TOTALLY straight. Is there a trick I am missing? :confused:

#2 ·
Takes a lot of patience. I did this with my polished stainless, soft rag with slight pressure by hand, keep rubbing and pulling on the tubing (sounds very dirty). Where it keeps curving, put the pressure opposite and rub it out. If it starts curving the other way, you have put too much pressure.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but that works well.

Jason

#3 ·
I just buy the lines straight.......and put the bends and curves where I want them.....
Car Quest Auto Parts has the tubing in 72 inch lengths....NAPA and most others only go the 60 inches....

#8 ·
41willys said:
Yeah, but can you get it in the polished stainless? I looked for it, but was unable to find any straight.

Jason
im sure i can get them locally .. but you're too far from me .. just metter of looking around... but if you can post a picture too see how are they now maybe i can more helpfull giving idea on how to straight the ones you have now :D

#9 ·
Roll it out. Grab a stool or shortish chair and a pair of rubber soled shoes. Straighten the line as much as reasonably possible and lay it on the floor. Put one foot on the straightest part and roll it back and forth as you might a pencil lying on the floor. Use the other foot to work the really bad sections until the entire line will roll back and forth nice and smoothly. Sometimes it takes a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.