How to get started and make connections - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to get started and make connections

Okay, I see all the time guys "found this part for $100" or "just pick up a used one for $50" or "have the machine shop do it for $30"...... so my question is, how do I find these people?

I'm not a mechanic, neither is my dad or relatives. I don't do work that involves mechanics, welders, machinists, etc.... how do you go about finding people that can do work and find parts, etc etc etc..... a lot of the time I can do many various mechanical things, but never having any formal training and not having someone that can come over and help out puts a limit on what I can get done by myself.

So, those of you that aren't doing some aspect of this as a job, how did you meet people and learn about cars? Races, meets, cruise night, online?

Also, does anyone have a good link for regional events? I am looking for OH, WV, PA....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Getting started

If there is a specific part you are looking for, call the wrecking yard or stop by. If they don't have it, they may direct you to someone that does. "Grease the wheels" a bit by telling the counter person that all your friend said his place was place to go, or that their place was the first one you went to.

Don't pretend to know more than you do. That was a big step for me. Admit it up front, to others, and especially to yourself, and you'll be better off in the long run. Good reputations travel slow, but bad ones travel faster than the speed of light!

If you see a sweet ride at the local garage or service station, drop in, buy a Coke, and ask about the car. We are all eager to talk. The owner of that car may know someone, who knows someone, that has just the part or service you need. That is how I found my front end man.

Swap meets, cruises, and shows are all vast resources. Another good resource is the new car dealer's service department. Call them up. Most, if not all, are into the hot rod or race car scene and could direct you along. Refer to the "grease the wheels" comment above.

Above all, don't take it too seriously. HAVE FUN. When it becomes serious, it is no longer fun. Just a nickle's worth of free advise.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:53 AM

HEY PAPER: A good way to get started might be to join the National Street Rod Assoc. along with the membership will come a magazine called Street Scene that has good articles about what is going on in the area. They also publish a book called Fellow Pages that list members, car clubs of other rodders in your particular area. It might be that if you need help, work done, advise, support you could contact these people in your area to find out who does what. Bottom line best way to get started is to " network" with people in your area who have same interest. NSRA is at WWW.nsra-usa.com If you send me your address or FAX number I will send you copy of Fellow Pages for West Va. so that you can see where members are located....GOOD LUCK....DAVE
Old 01-13-2004, 08:37 AM

thanks for the replies guys... definitely some good ideas on how to get started
Old 01-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

you may notice after scrounging parts, after a while ,you find you are looking up every drive way and your travels start to look like a grid pattern.this is an effective way of finding diamonds in the rough.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Read, read, read. Get books on the subject you are interested in, buy magazines like Rod and Custom, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Street Rod Builder, check on-line resources (like this one!!), ask, ask,ask the local guys - maybe they will answer, maybe not- a local painter would NOT answer questions after seeing my painting skills as he was afraid I'd take his business- assure them that is not the case, you just need information. And again: read, read, read and practice what you read about!!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Paper,
I agree with all the folks above and remember the library is free.
As you drive around, pay attention to the cars, truck and shops around your own town. You will be surprised how many times you went by Joes or Daves and never saw the shop before.
You even started here, thanks to Dave E Shank, the information in the index will give you have a network starting right in WV! Give him a PM and ask about the local yards in his area. You never know when you may go through Indiana. I've ended up in worse places (nothing against Indiana Dave, shoot - I may even make it to Texas and visit Crazy larry someday). Getting advice from others is great and you'll know when a person dosen't like a paticular place of business.
Dutch
Old 01-17-2004, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

I think all the advise so far is good. I would certainly follow that. I got started by taking night classes at the local trade school. I have taken welding, mechanics, auto body, and machine shop. The continuing education classes are not that expensive. The instructor usually has from 10 to 30 years experience. Many of the students have good ties. Get in there and you can learn the trade, develop contacts to that industry and related things as well. Ask questions, show an interest, project a good attitude and you will get a lot out of the class. You can bring your home projects to class and the instructor will help you with it. You may also discover you might want to do one of the trades for a living. There is just so much you can get out of the trade school. This also gives you an oportunity to see what the other students are doing and learn from them.

As far as the car shows, most are not advertised. First look in the yellow pages under car clubs. If that doesn't work go to the local speed shop and inquire with them. If no speed shop try the local auto parts store. If no luck there, get in your car and drive around to the local fast food places on Saturday. Most car shows in our area are on Saturday. For a national listing, go to hemmings.com. They have a lot listed there and may have one in your area. Once you get to one car show you will normally see fliers being distributed for other car shows. Unless you have a car in the show you will have to ask for the fliers. Once you get started you should be able to attend a car show every week end with no trouble. Talk to the car owners and they can usually tell you where the next car show will be.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:42 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

mother load of sbc parts

I answered and add for gears and rods for my 400sbc and this old time drag race guy shows me his stash. Heads,finished and bare, 2.02 and 1.94's and pistons and steel cranks and cams and fully built engines and bare blocks. Use the PM if you want me to get prices on things for you. He was talking with me about using brown to ship and where would he get boxed and such, Dude was very COOL! Talked about Smokey Yunken like he knew the dude and he himself raced the FIRST Orange crush car and built dragsters in the 60's.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

my own local experience....

as an antisocial personality type, i go out of my way NOT to meet new people. so i can honestly say that i don't have local car buds. unless you count my bro-in-law. ( i don't ) but, just due to the fact that i'm in the garage so much i have people stopping by, wanting to know if i do work for folks, (usually not) or occasionally someone will stop and ask if i need this or that... in fact, i picked up a 1965 289 longblock this passed weekend that way, for free. a guy stopped by, said he was tired of totin' this motor around with him, would i be interested in it? wellllll if the price is right i might be.... well it was.
i have another guy, wants me to swap out the running 350 in his pickup for another 350 he pulled out of one of his old trucks. will let me have the motor i pull for doing it. i would if it was a ford.

long story short, be patient and decent, and the good deals will start seeking you.

Dutch, how do you like your steak?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.