How to get a title?- Bill of sale only - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to get a title?- Bill of sale only

Hey everyone, I am just wondering how you guys go about getting a title for a car that you just have the bill of sale for.

The reason why I ask is because I bought a Stang and I only have the bill of sale. I went to DMV here in CA and since the car hasn't been registered since '86 I need to have the previous owner sign a statement of facts saying where and how she acquired the vehicle, and a VIN inspection in order to get a title issued in my name.

Well I can't get in touch with the person I bought the car from and it's looking to be almost impossible to get that statement of facts.

I have heard of people just bringing the bill of sale to DMV with cars they have bought from fields, etc. and having DMV issueing a new title without the whole statement of facts thing.

Has anyone done this, or what would be the best way to get a new title since I can't get ahold of the previous owner?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 03:21 AM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

It will likely depend on your state or province

I know when I was in manitoba I was able to get papers for and register a street bike with a handwritten bill of sale and its even easier to do so in saskatchewan, but here in B.C. I've been trying to get papers for my 59 Zephyr for about 2 months now and I'm not even half finished. And I bought the car from the original owners widdow to boot.

there are ways to get papers for any vehicle,just that some ways take much longer than others depending on what you know about the vehicles history and previous owners.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:44 AM

Titles

I'm using Universai Title. Look them up on the net. They are legal and get you the proper LEGAL paper work you need in about 10 days. Cost is $120.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I had a similar problem with a car I bought that the title wasn't signed correctly. I went back to where I bought the car from but I could never get ahold of the previous owner. I eventually filed a lien against the car for storage fees, I could legally charge the guy $5 a day and after 4 months he had a $600 bill for storage. I finally recieved the title to the car; I know it sounds like a crappy thing to do but it worked for me.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

As overwhelmed as the DMV is with work, I wouldn't hesitate to "write" the paper myself. If you're friendly with anyone on the police force, you can get them to drop by and verify the vin. DMV records are kept in Ca. for approx. 7 years, stolen vehicles maybe longer. As long as you are certain the car is clear, and the DMV should have checked this when you went in the first time, there shouldn't be any problems. Went through all this with my 36, but didn't have to fudge on the written statement, seller took care of that for me. Good luck. Dan
Old 10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

im going through the same thing right now. i purchased a "homemade" car, from the second owner, with no bill of sale, and he only gave me the application from "Titles Unlimited" which is no longer in business, and i cant get a hold of the original builder of the car. i think im going to apply for a "assembled vehicle title" here is a link that might help you.here
the only problem is if the car already has a vin and they might think i just dont want to pay taxes. im going to call the DMV today and find out what i should do, ill post what happens.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:03 PM

Titles

That Titles Unlimited was a crooked set up. This Universal Titles I mentioned will provide you with State stamped documents from the DMV of which state they use. AL, GA, Maine. You have to still pay state taxes so don't go in and claim your $20,000 car at $1,500 value. That might be the problem Boyd's ran into.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.