How Is Glass Regarded Now... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Question How Is Glass Regarded Now...

Is is acceptable to build a kit car now and not be shunned as a leper in that it is not real steel?

With older bodies geting more difficult to come by in decent shape and the difficulty of finding replacement parts...I am thinking of a kit car for looks and light weight and spending more time and effort on the drivetrain.

Comments Please?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think reality has kicked in to most people, no decent bodies around leaves you little choice, besides I like the idea of constructing a car from new materials.

Go for it Kultulz, maybe a GT-40 Kit?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Is a Cobra kit car shunned as a leper in that it is not real?

There are kit cars and then there are cars assembled from components. Street Beasts Cobras are considered a JOKE by most Cobra replicar people. Same thing for their street rod "kits".

If a rodder gets a TCI frame (for say... a 34 Ford) and mounts a Wescott 34 3 Window on it and builds a safe decent car....... He is not a outcast. Most other fiberglass bodies do not accurately duplicate the early Ford bodies as well as Wescott.

Example..... Filled roofs, no door hinges, poor fit, difficult to get the windows to go up and down and so on.

You generally take a beating on resale fiberglass/steel issues. I firmly believe IT'S harder to build a tupperware car than a genie Ford.

I am biased..... I have two steel Fords.

And they aren't like anything you would build.....they both have Chevrolet engines..LOL

:p

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 01-20-2003, 05:27 PM

Kultulz: I know everybody has opinions so here's mine.. Do it. Just like you said, the old stuff is getting harder and harder to find. I would pick the manufacturer that does the best work that you can find and just do it. When I see Outlaw bodied 41 Willys going for 40- 50 - 60 thousand dollars I don't think you would lose any money, but like I said,, just my opinion... My next project, if I live long enough, 41 Willys.....GlennK
Old 01-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Kultulz, I don't care what its made out of, as long as it looks cool, drives hard and makes you giggle to drive it build it. I don't care if its made from popsickle sticks as long as its original and not and assembly line "custom" go for it. Now if its one of those 'glass cars that arrive in a big crate and all you do is pull a cord and the crate falls apart revealing a fully flamed out tuck and roll tilt stearing put in your key and win a trophy cars you might get some heated words, but otherwise more power to you

HK
Old 01-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You see folks asking and some getting 40-50-60 grand ....it is true.

I know a guy who sold his Outlaw Willys for 66 thousand......only thing was he had 88 grand in it.

1) $20,000 basic kit
2) $2500 and up on wheels and tires
3) decent engine....Hemi, SOHC Ford or Big BBC...$10,000 and up
4) Trans and driveline stuff ...$2500 and up

Granted there are cheaper options.....but not on the 40-50-60 thousand dollar cars.

That's 35 grand and no glass, exhaust, paint, wiring, gauges, cooling, and interior. Not counting a supercharger....whats a Willys without a huffer pokeing out of the hood?

For a 40-50-60 Grand car....... the paint/body work is $7500 and up ( they are NOT paint ready) and about the same for threads.

Unless you paint very well, can do interior, build and machine your own engines, and fabicate parts at a high level.....I see 60-70-80 Grand in a 40-50-60 thousand dollar Willys.

The ONLY difference in a real steel car and a kit is the buy in price.....after that....the rest runs about the same.

I too say go for it......just go in with your eyes wide open with a realistic plan !!

Old 01-20-2003, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Compared to most people on this board, I am a die hard traditionalist. However, unlike most traditionalists, I don't frown upon glass bodies. I believe that it is more about how you build the car rather than what it is made of. There are not enough steel bodies to go around anymore and new steel ones are way out of the average man's price range. That is why I think it is acceptable to build a glass car. However, when someone takes a brand new fiberglass body and paints it to make it look like an old rusted steel body...that is when I look down on glass. No matter how good the paint is and how much talent it takes, those cars are the fakest of the fake and should not be held up on a pedastal.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 PM

Check out brookville-roadster.com there steel bodies are a little more expensive butvery nice.A lot of the glass bodies are nice also.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

I think the glass bodies are more widely accepted if you fire them up and don't hear a volkswagon engine. :o Dan
Old 01-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I say you get a daytona coupe kit car. Not too many of those around. http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr.../coupekit.html
Old 01-21-2003, 12:09 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

Thumbs up

Thanks for your opinion guys. It is that I am so tired of rust. I want to be able to have a simple platform to develop a particular drivetrain and have the engine in view of the motoring public (I am thinking of a deuce coupe kit).

And NO...It WILL NOT Be Stovebolt Powered!

Old 01-21-2003, 08:30 AM

Don't know of anyone offering a Deuce Coupe kit but all the components are available. A friend just got a Heritage 3W Coupe body and he is very impressed. He's putting it together on an original frame with a lot of his own unique ideas and a few aftermarket pieces.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

http://www.outlawrods.com/kits/32fordcoupe.html

Outlaw has one.......but the rear window is very incorrect....... they used their 34 Chevy back window mold instead of making the correct 32 one.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I do not claim to know much about Ford engines made past the Flathead. I do know a fair amount about 32 Fords. I am the President of the " All Deuces "..... a club for 1932 Fords only. The above photos were shot on our Run to the Rock. A 250 mile trip to Blowing Rock NC via the Blue Ridge Parkway. 35 1932 Fords crusing together.

If I was going to buy a 32 and had NO prior 32 experience I would go to Knoxville Tenn...... the 1st weekend in May and attend the NSRA Street Rod Show. Then in Sept. to Pigeon Forge Tenn. The Shades of the Past has a separate parking area for 32 Fords on Saturday..... last year there were over 140 in attendance.

Wescott has the best 3W body....IMHO. There are new steel 32 3 windows made now by Dearborn Steel....around 18 grand.

I just bought a nice 5W for a friend last year. 12 grand. I had known of it for 28 years. He sold all the stock stuff except the sheetmetal and frame and got 2500 dollars. Then he sold the interior for 500 dolars. He has onl 9 grand in a all steel 5W Deuce to build.

It can be done........

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Deuce Roadster ]

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Deuce Roadster ]</p>

Old 01-23-2003, 12:57 PM

I have three thoughts on this; 1. If someone did happen to find an all steel repairable body of a '32, it would be a shame to cut it up because they are getting rarer by the year. 2. A 'glass body done up right is a smart-looking outfit! I've seen a lot of them that I'd be proud to drive. 'Glass is easy to modify if you want to, and if you do make a mistake with it you just grind away the mistake and start over. And, as someone already mentioned it doesn't rust which makes it ideal for a daily driver anywhere.
3. The down side that I have noticed is primarily at shows. I don't believe that a 'glass body and a gennie steel body should be in the same class. I don't think it's fair to either one. The old steel body is just that...old and there's more likely to be countless hours of massaging to get it straightened out. The 'glass body is new and they shouldn't be compared for that very reason.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.