Hot Rod Forum banner

how to go about fixing this paint flaw.....

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  st3gamefarm 
#1 ·
How should i go about fixing this paint F-up??? This is on the front panel of a old gas pump i am restoring, the paint was Acrylic Enamel.... just before i painted, i gave it a blow job (get your mind out of the gutter) and i think i got a little moisture on the panel, what ever, the damage is done, now how to fix it......Paint is now about 24 hours old, should i wait till it is more dry, or attempt something now while it is soft......I call it the spider web affect....

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Here it is in a nut shell. That is caused by solvents from what you put over the top going into and under what ever it was sprayed over. That can happen on feather edging of something that wasn't stuck well or if it's been sanded thin so solvent can go through it and then under it wrinkling it up.

So if it's happening it will continue happening unless you can lesson the solvent that can soak in. If it's sprayed drier that can help, warming it up so what ever you spray over it can flash off faster instead of that solvent soaking in can help, using a faster reducer for colder weather can help. Anything that will allow for less solvent to sit there soaking in the better.

Brian

#9 ·
I painted the two side panels, the top panel , and the two (one front and one back) panel, and this is the only problem spot....Im no expert painter but i have painted fenders, hoods ,doors, small stuff many times, and i have never seen this before....I will see how scraping does tomorrow, it is getting cold here too, and that won't help things any....Thanks all:thumbup:

#10 ·
Heat lamps help a lot when it is cold.. The hardware kind work but they are not the shortwave kind they sell for use in body shops..But then again it is improvise innovate and overcome doing this sort of thing..

Sam

#11 ·
On a panel that small, you could have simply washed it down with solvent,(3812 comes to mind) and re-painted as soon as you noticed the problem, while the paint was still wet. Shoot! I've washed down whole van sides when I got a FUBAR.

Everyone starts off with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. Object of the game is to end up with a full bag of experience, before you empty the bag of luck.

Shorty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.