Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How good are pro comp cylinder heads
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 12:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

to better inform

pro comp chassis tires wheels etc. has nothing to do with the engine parts company two completely different companies

i know this post is old but deserves some clarifications

i deal in pro comp parts...and consider myself overly honest when it comes to money

the castings are good they need a little machine work mainly on the big block ford and mopar castings. the heads should be inspected 100% just like you need to do to any new bare head.
the biggest issue is pro comp offers these heads "assembled" to its dealers (i use the word assembled very very loosely) there is no machineing done parts are slapped in heads put into a box and sent to the dealer..
as for any dealers doing the same i cant say.

we have found so many things with castings i cant begin to list them all.
but i have found issues with even say recently dart iron eagles with a hole in the intake runner. very simple fix but if heads werent checked it would have gone unoticed until they were on the engine.

also be very careful of the parts used to assemble them are good enough for your application (again needs to be with any head no matter the name on it)

heres what i have learned
sbc heads...good overall stay away from older versions (think they are like on gen 4 now) by wary of the 210 heads as port location wont fit just any intake. be sure to check seats and guides
sbf heads....actually quite nice and we have the least amount of issues still need to check guides and seats
bbc heads....good but require light machine work alot of times also require special head bolts and longer rocker studs
bbf heads....require alot of machine work mostly above the valve seat area into the port
mopar heads..... same as BBF plus will require pushrod clearencing require special head bolts and offset rockers. if you use pro comp rockers they are only .585 offset and need to be .650 harland and t/d make rockers that are correct but pricey. if you are running solid roller comp makes .180 offset lifters that help and you can buy retro cups for the .904" lifters if you already have lifters

all heads will require longer pushrods
bottom line......you worked hard for the money i dont care what the "brand" is. if they cant answer simple questions, have vague information, and offer half answers. ask questions about where the assembly parts come from? do they have a machine shop? a lot of the negative posts i see are associated with ebay and i have to laugh......at 595 a set with free shipping how good can the quality of assembly and assembly parts be? simple math. kinda like saying the tow chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

theres some really great sellers out there doing great things for a great price...call around ask questions then decide. get a great deal just make sure its a wise deal..... no matter what "brand" you are after
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to mrperformanceparts For This Useful Post:
janus (01-03-2014)