Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How good are pro comp cylinder heads
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
i have bin entertaining purchase some prostar heads for sbf. the ad on e bay claims Assembly andmachining is by the seller and comes with 1year warranty. they want 650 with free fraight. Does any one have comments on prostar.i planed to use them on a 302 ford in my 32 2dr,which is used for street only.Old guy needs advice thanks cliff
ask the name brands of assembly parts......good start to a hint about what/who you are dealing with...
ask about what machine work they do to the heads......
something as simple as do you measure installed heights on all springs...
if the anwers dont come.......you get the idea.....
a monkey can assemble heads its as simple as putting the round peg in the round hole.....doing it correctly......takes knowledge
some simple questions...
whats your spring installed heights?
what spring pressures are at that?
what is spring pressure at lift??? (normally its a generic number like 300@1.250) and thats an acceptable answer
what is coil bind of spring?
how much clearence do you leave minimum before coil bind?
these are some very basic spring related questions....that should be answered without hesitation... if not......maybe should look some more....
biggest question they should ask you is for your cam information many cams are pretty much built on a baseline that use the same spring rates from several cam companies so 1 spring fits 100's to 1000's of cams..... but there are many that very quite a bit from those baseline (generic) type builds