How good are pro comp cylinder heads - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelelcano
Dammit i guess that's what i get for typing on my evil American designed Chinese made iPhone. Damn you Steve jobs for designing an amazing piece of technology, giving the Chinese pennies to make them, and then selling them to the rest of the world making billions and bringing that money back to the U.S. I hope he rots in Chinese hell where he receives the finest knockoffs china has to offer. Oh wait that's the u.s.
Have fun deciphering my sarcasm. I wanted to keep this post to the level this thread has offered.
you need to download the sarcasm app.....LMAO

Advertisement

Last edited by mrperformanceparts; 02-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
what valve sizes, what cc heads,
one was iron ones not..

one is known to drop seats, ones not..

one took 100lb off the car, and more inportantly, the nose..

apples to apples please...

sad that americans piss on the graves of vets that fought the commies so you could be free,
they are gonna win without firen a shot,,
Well I guess under this logic all African Americans should completely segregate themselves from the rest of the United states because of what the white mans ancestors did to them. Then we should cut off all ties to Britain over the civil war and while we are at it lets boot all the southern states from the union over the whole civil war fiasco. I also think its funny how every argument of this nature deteriorates into the Chinese taking over the U.S. As it stands basic High school economics tells us that this is not the case. The Chinese have no use in their country for American dollars. The only thing they can do with them is buy American imports. If they can no longer buy American imports the value of the dollar in china will quickly drop and china will stop exporting to the U.S. As of right now these imports mainly consist of raw material and information. If the Chinese want to toil in factories making our finished products in exchange for what we create in offices and pull out of the ground then more power to them. If they don't then the game will change and we will have to re-evaluate it then.

Honestly if you have never heard of things like say's law or the circular flow of economics the its not even worth my time to discuss your other post about saving ourselves out of our own jobs. Please take an economics class and come back when you have a clue.

I love the freedoms we as Americans enjoy and I will die to protect our constitution but the simple truth is the system will not work if people do not proceed to think with logic and those who do not know or fully understand what they are talking about proceed to preach their opinions.

On a side note no offense to anyone on the board from a foreign country but this has boiled down to an American v. China issue and its simpler to keep it in those terms for the time being.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Procomp distributor( Pontiac )

Does anyone have any experience with P/C dist. ? I just got one for my 350 Pont. ??????
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM

if its the 6008 you should be good.....the dizzy itself is a nice unit the weak link is the module..
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f/bird
Does anyone have any experience with P/C dist. ? I just got one for my 350 Pont. ??????
I hope you have better luck than my buddy had! He put one in his 350 SBC Chev last year and it lasted 3 weeks before the shaft broke in half and self destructed the whole distributor! Looked like a bomb went off when I pulled it and looked through the inspection hole!
We swapped in a Pertronix and it's been good ever since!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by f/bird
No idea on the PC distributor other than what has been said that you can find by doing a search, but the one that's sold by that well known eBay seller seems to have as good a rep as any.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I hope you have better luck than my buddy had! He put one in his 350 SBC Chev last year and it lasted 3 weeks before the shaft broke in half and self destructed the whole distributor! Looked like a bomb went off when I pulled it and looked through the inspection hole!
We swapped in a Pertronix and it's been good ever since!
we have had a similar experience with a msd 8361.....
and a dui HEI unit
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I've been around a couple engines, and I can say categorically that I've never seen a shaft broken in two on any distributor, stock or aftermarket.

I have seen gears stripped and worn totally out, and I've seen the oil pump drive shaft on a 351 Cleveland twisted like a pretzel, and the ear broken off a Chevy pump stub where the d-shaft indexes the slot, though.

Clean living, I suppose.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I've been around a couple engines, and I can say categorically that I've never seen a shaft broken in two on any distributor, stock or aftermarket.

I have seen gears stripped and worn totally out, and I've seen the oil pump drive shaft on a 351 Cleveland twisted like a pretzel, and the ear broken off a Chevy pump stub where the d-shaft indexes the slot, though.

Clean living, I suppose.
on the 8361 it broke at the roll pin area (cant remember exact location but was above it somewhat not to far up in the housing)
on the dui it broke app. mid shaft area
i must admit have never seen the ear on the dizzy shaft end broken off...but that would be the most logical to fail for sure....as the shaft would be weakest.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

cylender heads

i have bin entertaining purchase some prostar heads for sbf. the ad on e bay claims Assembly andmachining is by the seller and comes with 1year warranty. they want 650 with free fraight. Does any one have comments on prostar.i planed to use them on a 302 ford in my 32 2dr,which is used for street only.Old guy needs advice thanks cliff
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
i have bin entertaining purchase some prostar heads for sbf. the ad on e bay claims Assembly andmachining is by the seller and comes with 1year warranty. they want 650 with free fraight. Does any one have comments on prostar.i planed to use them on a 302 ford in my 32 2dr,which is used for street only.Old guy needs advice thanks cliff
ask the name brands of assembly parts......good start to a hint about what/who you are dealing with...
ask about what machine work they do to the heads......
something as simple as do you measure installed heights on all springs...
if the anwers dont come.......you get the idea.....
a monkey can assemble heads its as simple as putting the round peg in the round hole.....doing it correctly......takes knowledge
some simple questions...
whats your spring installed heights?
what spring pressures are at that?
what is spring pressure at lift??? (normally its a generic number like 300@1.250) and thats an acceptable answer
what is coil bind of spring?
how much clearence do you leave minimum before coil bind?
these are some very basic spring related questions....that should be answered without hesitation... if not......maybe should look some more....
biggest question they should ask you is for your cam information many cams are pretty much built on a baseline that use the same spring rates from several cam companies so 1 spring fits 100's to 1000's of cams..... but there are many that very quite a bit from those baseline (generic) type builds
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Well we finally got some track time in on the 509ci BBC with the procomp heads. took a little work to get it dialed in but it went 5.84 on motor and 5.31 on a small kit.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

So now I have input on Pro Comp aluminum heads, and it ain't good.
Last fall I got a smokin deal on a pair I found on the local Craigslist. $500 for the pair and a set of ARP head bolts tossed in too! Brand new, but had been installed on a SBC, but never started up.
Well I was looking for a pair of old "fuelie" heads, but what the heck, these were too good to pass up. Famous last words! I picked them up and during the off season I installed them on the 327 in my Austin gasser. The heads were angle plug, which created some clearance issues, but I got around that. Installed a new set of roller tip rockers, and a new cam while it was all apart.
A couple weeks ago I started noticing one cylinder was not firing well at idle. Pulled the valve covers to find one rocker had a bad roller! It also ate up the valve stem a little, so pulled the head and took it to the local machine shop to have it looked at.
Machinist told me the next day that all the valves were sloppy in their guides! Said it appeared someone bored the guides without honing them to fit each valve correctly. Pulled the 2nd head and he confirmed it also was assembled in the same sloppy manner and all valves guides were sloppy.
Wasn't too excited aout having to replace all the guides, especially when I found out they're all oversized OD also! The new guides would have to either come from Pro Comp, or one of their distributors like Skip White in Tn.
At that point I decided to cut my losses. He had a pair of old 2.02 camel hump cast iron Chevy heads with all new SS valves, hardened seats, new guides and seals, and chambers CC'd. I gave him the crap Pro Comp heads and $150. and walked out the door happy.
In the end it was a cheap lesson, and one I wont forget. I'll never buy Pro Comp again, but if anyone considers them be sure to get bare heads and have your local machine shop assemble and fit them. Don't let the idiots at Pro Comp toss them together!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Pro comp heads

I have the new revised 210/ 64 pro comp heads on my sbc 383. Motor is in a 1967
firebird. 3000lbs and I am running 10.90 at 122mph and 6.95 in the 1/8 th @ 99mph
I bought the heads bare and put in my own hardware. Running a .600 solid roller by lunati. Have a ton of passes on them and no problems. Until you buy a set of the new ones dont knock them...
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
So now I have input on Pro Comp aluminum heads, and it ain't good.
Last fall I got a smokin deal on a pair I found on the local Craigslist. $500 for the pair and a set of ARP head bolts tossed in too! Brand new, but had been installed on a SBC, but never started up.
Well I was looking for a pair of old "fuelie" heads, but what the heck, these were too good to pass up. Famous last words! I picked them up and during the off season I installed them on the 327 in my Austin gasser. The heads were angle plug, which created some clearance issues, but I got around that. Installed a new set of roller tip rockers, and a new cam while it was all apart.
A couple weeks ago I started noticing one cylinder was not firing well at idle. Pulled the valve covers to find one rocker had a bad roller! It also ate up the valve stem a little, so pulled the head and took it to the local machine shop to have it looked at.
Machinist told me the next day that all the valves were sloppy in their guides! Said it appeared someone bored the guides without honing them to fit each valve correctly. Pulled the 2nd head and he confirmed it also was assembled in the same sloppy manner and all valves guides were sloppy.
Wasn't too excited aout having to replace all the guides, especially when I found out they're all oversized OD also! The new guides would have to either come from Pro Comp, or one of their distributors like Skip White in Tn.
At that point I decided to cut my losses. He had a pair of old 2.02 camel hump cast iron Chevy heads with all new SS valves, hardened seats, new guides and seals, and chambers CC'd. I gave him the crap Pro Comp heads and $150. and walked out the door happy.
In the end it was a cheap lesson, and one I wont forget. I'll never buy Pro Comp again, but if anyone considers them be sure to get bare heads and have your local machine shop assemble and fit them. Don't let the idiots at Pro Comp toss them together!
Sorry you had issues, looks like you bought used heads not knowing if they are first gen or last? Or knowing if they were assembled by Procomp or another dealer?

Based on the valve issue, sound like the previous owner lied to you and they had a clean up and new valves put in. There are several dealers on ebay selling the heads with their own valves and springs. No telling what they do in assembling them. Hard to say it's Procomp's fault.

Could also be a machine shop drumming up business..."yep, they're all bad"

My heads worked perfect. The new owner has had them on a year and loves them. My Airwolf heads use a Procomp core and are flat out ******.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.