Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to ground a compressor?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lhorn tells us....
Quote;" Since it's a true 220 application (ie the coil on the mag starter is 220 not 110), my understanding is that I dont need a neutral (the middle, L shaped prong on the dryer plug), just 2 hots and neutral. "

You don't need a neutral, buy only 2 hots and a neutral? Am I missing somthing here?

If you're using a three prong welder plug and receptacle you have two hots and a neutral.

How is your welder grounded? I think its not.

The trend is (and it may be code, now) to separate the neutral and ground. Dryer plugs and receptacles now have four prongs - two hots, a neutral and a ground.

Again, how is your welder grounded? My welder is on a 70 amp 220 breaker. I'd be more concerned about a properly grounded welder than a compressor that puts out air vs. electricity.

The best ground for a welder is a conductive rod in the ground that contacts the water table. That's about as rare as a muffler on a Harley. Just pounding a ground rod in doesn't mean you have a perfect ground. Though, better than nothing.