Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to handle this (pictures inside)
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
Thanks for all the solid advice guys. I appreciate it much better than the criticism I've gotten on other forums. I like to do stuff right, I do, and if I was better at sheet metal repair I would go the correct route. I'm sure many of you could very efficiently to a proper metal repair on something like this. I would spend way more time at it and the results may still be disappointing to look at.

Free beer and food for any sheet metal guy that wants to help with doing it right in a timely manner!!!
It is easy for us to get cocky when we have our MIG welders, Beverly shears and other equipment in our garages RatPin. I had to laugh when my buddy tore down a car this week that I had built in 1972. They could not believe I had hidden a seam in the quarter panel that was joined with pop rivets and epoxy resin. At that time I owned a ball peen hammer and a pair of channel locks. The point is it worked for 40 years. I would not even think of doing that today but at the time it was the best I could do. It worked because I had the panels clean, rust free and protected from moisture on both sides. I used Stainless rivets and good epoxy. Maybe I was a pioneer in auto body repair. Now they recommend gluing quarter panels on.

Good luck to you.

John L