Hot Rod Forum banner

How to handle this (pictures inside)

14K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  jon-h 
#1 ·
A couple weeks back I picked up a '59 bel air that had a cheap paint job done about 7 years ago (Earl Shieb). It had some blistering at the bottom of the doors and on the rockers. Now keep in mind I bought this car for a driver and I don/t want to dig into it too deep since I am already up to my elbows in another frame up build. I want to do a quick fix on the areas pictures below. Quick fix meaning no cutting or welding, and yes I know it will be just covering it up to a degreea and I'm sure it will rear it's ugly head again at some point down the road, but for now I just want it smooth and protected as best it can be without adding metal and doing it (properly).

Please lend advice as to what you might think would work best to seal this up for as long as possible. I was thinking to just wire it clean from the outside, put some Metal Ready on it and then skim it over with All Metal or similar product.

Again, I know to most and even to me this seems like doing a hack job, but right now I just want to have it smooth and be able to drive it while I finish my other project. I can do it right at a later date when I have the time and shop space to do so.

Thanks!

See less See more
#35 ·
Por-15

Just to second a previous comment, POR-15 has worded very well for me. I saw a test in Auto Restorer's (?) Magazine, who were as skeptical as I was. They used it (along with some fiberglass matt) on a floor section lacey with rust as a last shot before cutting and welding on a vehicle meant to be a driver. They were amazed afterward that they could bounce on the lacy floor after the POR-15 dried.

I used it on supports on used running boards for my F150 - just wire-brushed the surface rust and applied POR-15 - and it was still shiny with no rust pop-through 3 years later when I sold the truck. I like to prime while the POR-15 is still tacky, beause it dries shiney and is extremely difficult to rough up to offer adhesion for later paint; hard even to scratch with a nail. And, because it is not UV resistant, it should generally be painted. I had a trailer on which I used just POR-15 have the surface deteriorate over 4 years, while the supports under the truck and a brake vacuum booster held up well not exposed to sunlight.

Read the label and follow the warnings. If you close the can without plastic wrap under the cover, you will NOT reopen the can short of destruction. If you keep dipping a brush in the can instead of pouring out what you need, or if you pour left-overs back in the can, the whole can will solidify - looks neat but not useful. Also, I recommend gloves and clothing about which you care little or not at all.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.