Hot Rod Forum banner

How Hard To Push Stock Type SBC Short Block..??

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  78 monte 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a 67 cameroSS with a very rare steel, small J. 3.48 crank... The local hot rod shop had never seen one...
The thing is ,is that it was built with old fasion cast 11 to 1 pistons,low tech bottomend.
The heads were another matter..
461's 1.94 by 1.6 Fully Ported by a very famous guy here where I live-
for cam I put in a crane blueprint L-79..
With a stock Q-Jet manifold and a Holley 650 spread bore D/P (4 speed trans!)
This thing would snap u-joints.The driveshaft was bent before I had a chance to put slapper bars on it... I allways considerd it to have 350 to 375 easy HP ...??? is-How Hard Can You Push (with good heads etc) a basically stock,cast piston,crate short block-:)
I Know that this is a "up in the air ???" but come-on give it a try...
Thanx Don

#4 ·
What cook says is true. Cast pistons really aren`t meant to take high RPM blasts but on occasion. in the early 90`s we mud raced with a 350 that we had built the year before, and we was not afraid to tach it, after many blasts we knew something was amiss, the last mud race of that season, we took 1st place again, but knew it was time for a rebuild. When we tore it down we were surprised to find only 3 skirts had broken off, we expected many more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.