How hard is it to rebuild a 700r4? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How hard is it to rebuild a 700r4?

Hello,
New to the board and just had my 1989 GMC 4x4, 350 C.I. V8, with the ever famous 700r4 start giving me problems...I think it is time for a rebuild, it only has 195,000 miles on it, due to me changing the oil in the trans religiously every year, and lucas oil additive .

I have been told that they are easy to rebuild, but I was wondering if there are any tools that I may need to buy special for tearing such a trans apart, or is easily torn apart with any good gear heads selection of tools? I know my uncle was able to redo a th350 no problem, and several other makes and models through the years, but I am not familiar with the metrics...yes, I am one of the dreaded "do it yourselfers" . I figure how else is a person going to learn.

My truck started giving me trouble on Tues here when the weather hit -25 below zero...I just thought it was hard shifting due to the cold, then it would not shift into third, fine through 1st and 2nd, third it falls on it's butt ....ofcourse I still have reverse so from what I hear and have read that means overdrive should be intact, just that drive is out. took it out today and it does the same thing. I have also read about some "plastic gear" that breaks? what is that about? Well, hope you can help me out with my few questions....thanx
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

700R4 build

Contact www.transmissioncenter.net they specialize in 700r4's and have a great step by step DVD to walk you thru the build.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

it is a whole lot easier to take it to somebody you know, and let them rebuild it, theres a reason for the 300 bucks in labor, its a pain in the rear, unless you've done another trans before i wouldnt recommend doing it yourself
Old 02-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Mike,
Try this, click the search button above & type-in
700r4 rebuild & read what others have to say & don.
You will need a manual &/or a video, but it's not
hard to do this trans.. Go for it.
Take care,
Rich

Last edited by richard stewart 3rd; 02-23-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: the norm forgot stuff
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you are mechanically inclined, it can be done. The tool that will come in handy is the spring compressor for all the piston retainers. A real pain without it. You will probably also need help replacing all the bushings and installing the teflon sealing rings. You can cheat but be prepared to bugger up a few bushings and rings.

There are a lot of little things to check that are easily missed if you don't know what to look for. Any of which will render the trans still broke if not addressed.

I did a 350 2 years ago and did good. I then tried a 700 and did kinda ok. Finally lost interest in finishing it and moved it on to someone else to ck and finish.

Mark
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM

I did mine with the help of the video and books/websites... If you take your time, are patient and are mechanically inclined you should be able to do it yourself.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Well, I have decided to go with a local shop that has a good rep. He called today and told me with exchange it would be about $700 for the trans and converter. I think I am going to go that route for now since it is one of my most driven vehicles....I will maybe try a rebuild myself if I ever decide to put an overdrive in my old chevy....thanx for the help....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.