How have you kept people or co workers out of your booth while your paintin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How have you kept people or co workers out of your booth while your paintin

Ok so I was priming a few thing Friday and out of no where a co worker opens the door and held it open. As you all know it sucked dirt and a big chunk of something into the primer. Know cuz it is primer I was not to worried but I will be spraying base and clear at the end of the week. The bad part is I will be spraying a flat clear so I can't cut and buff it. How do I let them know to stay the heck out with out making them feel like I run the shop? Do I make a sighn sit down and have a meeting with them all or what?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

I doubt a sign would work since nobody reads those anyway. If talking with them using carefully chosen words in a lighthearted but serious way (easier said than done) doesn't work, maybe rig up a cheap and cheesey quick and easy lock for the inside of the door.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

A lot of people are curious when it comes to paint. That goes for other things too, bodywork, buffing, ect. Yet, I've never yet had someone walk in in the middle of the crapola job of sandblasting, I hate being in there myself.

Remember back in the stone ages when I went to tech school, there was usually someone staring through the booths window watching you paint. Had about 20 people watching as I painted a lincoln made into a limo for a guy in a tarped area they set up in the backyard for a friend of a friend in my younger years, as they were all getting ready to party that night. Talk about being uncomfortable. Had a guy sit and watch me do bodywork for hours once. I am not one who really is comfortable with an audience, and kept thinking, when is this guy going to friggen leave. The worst though was a direct tv salesman opening my closed garage door and just inviting himself in as I was in between base and clear. That took a lot of balls. If it would have been in the middle of clearing, I probably would have wrang his neck, but still was not too happy with him.

But coworkers should know better. Why are they coming into the booth in the middle of a job. Maybe you just have to explain to the offenders the extra work it causes, or why you can't get trash in this paint job, or if that doesn't work, talk to the shop manager about the problem you are having and how having people walking into the booth can cause extra work or money on the job. If they are coming in to get something out of the booth area, then it shouldn't be kept in there.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

"Ok so I was priming a few thing Friday and out of no where a co worker opens the door and held it open."

"But coworkers should know better. Why are they coming into the booth in the middle of a job."

Been there, done that, had the T-shirt and used if for a rag.

The one and only answer to this problem is to buy a cheap paint gun, break it down, tune it up and use it. Next time just unhook and HURL IT straight at their face. They will move or not BUT they will never do it again.

All other solutions to the problem are a waste of time, you are dealing with a cretin or a bully, talking will not get it done. That the shop allowed this and did not fire the fool on the spot should tell you to be looking elsewhere, right now.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Tell them 2 things, you're screwing up my job and YOU WILL PAY FOR MATERIALS if I have to do it over. Part 2. Only an idiot would want to breathe this stuff. It's bad for you.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Seems to me that even a cheap door latch on the inside would work. Then they can't open the door! How tough is that?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Sounds like you work with a bunch of dumb @sses . I am just a mechanic but Ihave enough sense to know you dont crack a main seal when spraying for gods sake. Let your co workers read my post. I tell them to get a grip if you like.Seems like there is allways one in a crowd you know.
I like the Idea of putting a chain or bar on the inside and there should be a red flashing light , like in hollywood, on the outside of the door.
For someone to do that they are either a real idiot or trying to sabatoge your work. I think you should open up some whoop *** after work.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Seems to me that even a cheap door latch on the inside would work. Then they can't open the door! How tough is that?
Thats what I had to do....just a little slide bolt will do..
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Years ago I had a guy spray a car after I had patched and prepped it - some jerk whipped open the overhead door - it looked directly into the prevailing wind. We had some unkind words, some pushing and shoving and when he "recovered", he allowed that he would pay the guy doing the spraying as well as the labor to do the final cut and buff(which I was going to do myself). Luckily it was a lacquer based paint, so no real lasting effect. I'm not usually that volatile, but after weeks of prep, kinda upset me a bit

Dave W
Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Very simple... Put a big sign on the door.. IF ANYONE OPEN'S THIS DOOR WHILE I'M PAINTING... YOUR FIRED !!!!!

I promise they won't open it.. More so after the first one get's fired..
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

how would they look in k2

We had a guy wander into the Prime booth at one of the Ford factories. the electric eye said start the guns, , he slipped , fell. the guns shut off, when he stood up they started again. I would have painted the turkey that opened the door. hey you know the trigger sticks on this gun ! !
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Last photo:

That would happen only ONCE with me

Vince
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
That would happen only ONCE with me

Vince
Me too. Off would come the mask, and they would be pursued by one ticked off 300 lb Scandinavian. ME !

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.