How to hook up torque converter clutch without a computer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2001, 09:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How to hook up torque converter clutch without a computer

The following will explain how to hook up a torque cnoverter clutch without the use of a computer on a 700 R4 Transmission. The four prong connector at the transmission are lettered A_B_C_D. The only two you will use is A & d the other two are for computers only. A is the 12v line and D is ground.I use a toggle switch on my car in the A line because I only use the clutch on the highway.The A terminal is to the outside and to the front of the transmission. The D terminal is to the outside and to the rear of the transmission. The other two terminals will not be used. Ground the D terminal to the case of the transmission. We will use the 12v line to work the unit. This way you will not have 12v to the solenoid all the time and it will last longer. Run a 12v line from the fuse box that is only hot when the key is on. Put it to your toggle switch now you don't have to use a switch but the clutch will come on in 2 &3 & 4th gear all the time and in town this is not good. You can also use a vacumn switch from a pick up truck but it does the same thing it will apply it in town all the time. from the switch the 12v line goes to the brake switch. Now you need a brake switch with a cruise control outlet. The brake light part of the switch applys 12v and the cruise side takes 12v away. You want to run the clutch threw the cruise part of the switch so when you put on the brake the clutch goes off this will keep the engine from stalling. So you put the 12v line from the fuse box to the toggle switch and then the cruise switch and then to the A terminal on the transmission. Now if you have a B terminal on the connector which is the front terminal nearest to the case you can do it another way. About 20% of terminal Bs are hooked to the ground system. The other ones you will have to take the pan off and fix them. B has a forth gear switch and a temp switch. This means that if you hook the ground to B the clutch will only come on in forth gear and when the trans warms up. Also if the trans gets to hot it will shut the clutch off. By useing B you will not have to use a toggle switch unless you want to.When you take the pan off if B is not in the ground system just splice it in. You use either D or B for the ground system you do not use them both. Even if you see terminal B in the trans connector you still have to pull the pan to see if it is in the ground system. There is about six differant set ups in the 700 R4 trans.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Roy Newton- exprotech ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2001, 06:59 AM

Wink

So what you are saying is that if I connect A to the cruse controll switch, and the switch to a fused +12 volt line and conect D and B to ground my trans clutch will only work in 4th gear and come off when I brake to slow down. How can I determine if my B is conected properly inside my trans? Mine is from an 86 pontiac firebird.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:55 PM

The only way you can tell is to take the trans pan off. There is several types on the same year car.Just make sure that B is hooked to the switches and the sol. Some switchs are not hooked to the sol. and if it is not just splice them to the sol. ground wire. It is the cruise control brake switch which is part of the brake light switch. And yes then it will go on in forth gear and go off when breaking. ROY
Old 12-28-2001, 06:21 PM

Thanks Roy for some very usefull information. I am installing a 700-R4 in my street rod and was wonderind the same thing and you have answered it for me. Thanks again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.