How to identify Oldsmobile 12 bolt? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 10:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to identify Oldsmobile 12 bolt?

I know the ring gear of a chevy 12 bolt is 8.8" and the oldsmobile o-type 10 bolt carrier is supposed to have an 8.2" ring gear...

BUT... is there any way externally to tell the difference between the 2 rear ends?

What I have here is a rear end on a 69 cutlass a guy is selling.

He's sent me pics and thinks its a chevy 12 bolt. Yes, the case has 12 bolts, but if I know my oldsmobile lore only olds cars built in the oshawa, ontario plant had chevy 12 bolts between 1968-1970. All the olds cars built in america are supposed to have had this strange weak o type 12 bolt that's more like a 10 bolt strength wise.

So can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Erik

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Never heard that one before. and I live in Ontario.

All I know is 12 bolt rear cover = 12 bolt rear.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

I have heard that there is a 10 bolt olds and I think there is a 12 bolt as well. As far as a 12 bolt chevy from the factory, I do not have that one. Ask the guy to send a pic of the diff with the cover off and maybe you could post it so somebody could tell you for sure.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Wouldn't it just be a generic GM 10 or 12 bolt if it was from that period ? , or were there differences between BOP and Chevy ?

Your not thinking of the 58 - 64 Olds rear are you ?

"All the olds cars built in america are supposed to have had this strange weak o type 12 bolt that's more like a 10 bolt strength wise. "

What about the 442 W-30 and the full size cars with a 455 , surely they would've had a full strength 12 bolt rear ? .

dang ponch I just noticed we registered at the same time but you got over 5 times as many posts as me

Here's a link from an Oldsmobile website giving 12 bolt tips , it only refers to it as GM 12 bolt and doesn't seem to differentiate between BOP or Chevy............

http://www.oldsmobility.com/chev12bolt-tips.htm

Last edited by Stitch; 12-08-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

"12 bolt rear cover = 12 bolt rear"

It's definitely a 12 bolt cover, but it's like there's this possible oldsmobile exception

"Wouldn't it just be a generic GM 10 or 12 bolt if it was from that period ? , or were there differences between BOP and Chevy ?"

Actually there was a difference between olds and the rest apparently on some of the cars produced during those years.

Here's all the details I could find guys:

http://archive.classicoldsmobile.com/html/69.html

http://www.oldsmobility.com/67%20Old...s/rearends.htm

Check it out and tell me what you make of it. It's like "c'mon a 12 bolt cover with 28 spline axles and a 8.2" ring gear!?!?!? WTF were you engineering guys thinking!?!?"

I wouldn't worry about it if I didn't need the strength of a 12 bolt.

-Erik
Old 12-08-2003, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Yeah you're right Erik . I had a quick look at those websites and it seems that the 'O' type axle would be a bad choice , being weaker and with limited cwp availability . It's annoying that neither web site tells you how to identify it from the exterior , unless the only positive way is to pull the cover and either measure the ring gear or count the axle splines . Are you putting it in a Cutlass/442 ? . I guess the favourite thing to do would be to find a Chevelle 12 bolt but that's no easy task .
Old 12-12-2003, 02:06 PM

Unfortunately, I have this 'mystery' rear end in my 69 Cutlass. Here is what I know about it:

It IS a 12-bolt case with a 10-bolt carrier that measures 8.5", not 8.2". It was only in Cutlasses from 1968-1970. It is Oldsmobile's version of the Chevy 12-bolt rear end. It has an odd-ball bolt pattern on the cover, and the cover is almost completely round. The really strange part is that the pinion is only 12 splines, where as Chevy used a 28 spline for the 8.5".

It's main weakness is actually not the 10-bolt carrier. The weakness lies in the bearings. The bearings are smaller than the 12-bolt Chevy, leading to excessive heat and premature failure.

The main factor is the parts for the 'O' axle are 2.5-3 times the price of a standard 8.5" 10-bolt.

I am currently wrestling with the decision as to whether to retain the stock axle in a numbers-matching car, or to switch to a GM corporate 8.5" rear out of a 71-72 Cutlass. Either way, I'm upgrading the gearset to 3.42.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 PM

I had one of the 12 Olds rears several years ago. One of the main differences I noticed is the Olds rear axles bolt in, just like the B-O-P 8.2 10 bolt whereas the 12 bolt Chevy, 10 bolt Chevy and corporate 8.5 axles are held in with c-clips. The Olds rearend parts are very hard to come by and very expensive, I once called on a set of 3.90 gears and the price was over $450 and this was for used parts. I pulled the rearend back out and put the stock unit back in my GTO.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

425hp olds,

Could I email you a pic of the rear cover? I think it's the oddly round one you're talking about.

My email addy is eriklukas126@hotmail.com. If you shoot me a quick hello, I'll reply back with the photo, and I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

Erik

P.S. Sounds like this oddball is just not the way to go unless you want numbers matching!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.