Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How important is the primer I use?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welcome!

I've stripped quite a few cars. Any way you do it is a lot of work. If you're not dealing with a lot of layers of old pain, you could probably take it down to metal with a sander and some 80 grit.

The other method is chemical. I use JASCO premium paint stripper. It comes in a gold color can and I get it at Lowes. Cost a bit more but it's worth. Much caution should be used durung use. You don't want you or your son getting that stuff on your skin or breathing a lot of it.

Sanding or stripping you want to be careful to mask or cover anything you don't want the stripper to eat into (rubber, vinyl, etc.).

When it comes to primer, I'd use Dupont VariPrime 615S with the 616S Converter. This is a self etching primer. After that I spray on some hight build 2k direct to metle primer.

I know there are a lot of guys that have more knowledge than myself that will be posting shortly. You should be getting lot's of help with this one.

Good luck,

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Trucknut For This Useful Post:
55's 65 (09-28-2012)