Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How important is the primer I use?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Well I have to say NEVER, EVER use anything like a "grinder" to remove paint. That will warp a panel long before 40 grit sand paper will. Removing paint with an orbital sander like a "bondo hog" ND900.

It's an 8" orbital sander that creates very little heat compared to a "grinder" which is spinning, now THAT creates heat.

I have chemical stripped plenty, and it works well. Run duct tape down all the seams so so no stripper gets in there. Scrape the paint off with a putty knife.

One of the tricks with paint strippers is to NOT back stroke. Pour it on the surface or brush it out ONE DIRECTION. Or get some on the brush and brush it ONE DIRECTION, don't go back and forth. The reason is the gases in it are what carries the stuff that attacks the paint! So when you go back and forth like you are painting a fence you open it up releasing the gases. Another trick is to cover it with plastic believe it or not. You put the stripper on then you cover it with a plastic sheet, again, so the gases don't escape.

Another thing, scratch the paint by running a sander over it with 40 or 36 to open it up so the stripper can get into it.

But honestly, on something like a hood or roof, I like to use stripper so you aren't flexing or heating those large "Flat" panels. But on the rest of it, the 8" orbital with 40 grit to cut the largest amount off, then a 6" orbital ("DA") with 80 and then 120 to finish it off.

Then epoxy primer is the best thing at that point.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
55's 65 (09-29-2012)