Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How important is the primer I use?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Theres really no set way to strip a car...What you want is to use the fastest and cheapest way to get it to the metal.....Every car is different, on some a razor scraper is fastest to get most the paint off then some da sanding of the primer.
Others can be sanded down BUT the paper is very expensive about 1.00 per sheet for the DA and 2.00 per for the mud hog (8" da) and you'll need quite a few so you really want the good stuff....and then theres the dusty mess to concider....
Jascco stripper or aircraft stripper from Kleen strip are about the best brands easily available and 1 gallon should do the job at 40-50.00 and the time savings compared to sanding it off is why I usually go the chem strip way.I can completely strip the outside of a car in 4hrs by myself an old mustang like yours might take longer depending how much paint is on there, but Ive been doing it for many yrs. and know a ton of tricks....
As with almost everything, preperation is the key to using chem strip,quickly ,easily and no mess ....having the right tools and knowing the tricks is a must so start with a fender and try all the methods, after determining which method will work best on this job if its using chem strip I can help make it a piece of cake and you will get professional results getting it off,prepping the metal and epoxy priming.....BUT one thing you DO NOT want to do is start chem stripping the car before you know EXACTLY what to do,especially with your boy around helping....
Get yourself a razor scraper and some 40grit da paper with an elcheapo DA and a small can of stripper and start stripping a fender to see which one will work best and keep us posted this sounds like a great father son project and we all like following them....
Mike aka DBM