Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How important is the primer I use?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's a tad more aggressive which is why they suggest the Roloc "Surface conditioning discs". But honestly the reason they suggest them is kind of irrelevant on older cars because they aren't galvanized metal like the late model cars. ICARS stance as well as most car manufactures is that if you are removing paint for filler for instance you don't want to remove the zinc coating that is protecting the metal from corrosion. So the fiber discs can remove the paint without removing the coating.

All I know is those surface conditioning discs are the holy grail of prep work around the shop, I LOVE those things. I just cleaned up a metal piece for my car yesterday, a thin metal strip for the back of the seat. I was thinking how I was going to do it, I looked down, there was my angle grinder with a 3" brown disc, to the right was my particle mask, I picked up the angle grinder, stuck on my particle mask and in less than a minute it was bare metal.

Brian
oh sorry, I couldn't recall the "technical" term for it. Maybe it's cause I'm too busy in the back actually doing the work. Thanks for correcting me. as always.