How important is the primer I use? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
Great info. This is why I hang out here. So many knowledgeable people to learn from. Thanks guys.
I agree!! I am so glad I found this forum! Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

now on to the primer...
base prep is the most important part of body work in my opinion.
mess up the base and everything you put over it is wasted.
use good primer; epoxy or self etching over bare metal.
anybody can spray primer most of it will be sanded anyway
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I guess I have to recant a statement I said that was untrue. I said I-Car suggests rice patties for stripping for welding but what they actually recommend are those fiber wheels that go onto your die grinder. Me personally, I think they're sort of the same thing with the exception being that the rice patty will last longer but is a tad more aggressive.
It's a tad more aggressive which is why they suggest the Roloc "Surface conditioning discs". But honestly the reason they suggest them is kind of irrelevant on older cars because they aren't galvanized metal like the late model cars. ICARS stance as well as most car manufactures is that if you are removing paint for filler for instance you don't want to remove the zinc coating that is protecting the metal from corrosion. So the fiber discs can remove the paint without removing the coating.

All I know is those surface conditioning discs are the holy grail of prep work around the shop, I LOVE those things. I just cleaned up a metal piece for my car yesterday, a thin metal strip for the back of the seat. I was thinking how I was going to do it, I looked down, there was my angle grinder with a 3" brown disc, to the right was my particle mask, I picked up the angle grinder, stuck on my particle mask and in less than a minute it was bare metal.

Brian
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The ro-locs are what I use, they last longer they're about the best waythere is to strip jambs and the back side of of panels ,they're great on just about any irregular surface however they're not very practical for stripping the outside of a car.
To get the most out of them I bought a few angle grinders from Harbor Freight when they went on sale for 9.99 and then I buoght a 1/2 dozen roloc backer pads and cut them down in 1/4" intervals ,each angle grinder has a dedicated pad so I dont have to chuck anything up just grab the next grinder ,change the pad with a twist and keep on going ,its like getting a brand new disc every time you change to the next size down not to mention the smaller it is the tighter a spot it'll fit...
These Rolocs(I call them cookies) are a bit expensive and I use them all the way down th the plastic mounting tab ,extremly handy little tool for stripping...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7626.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	68212  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Great advice, thanks guys!
I am not on a tight budget but because I am at the beginning of our project, I am careful where I am spending. I've done a bit of body work but it's been a while and this project will definitely allow me to increase my skills!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55's 65 View Post
Does it matter what primer I use to cover it once it's bare?
Epoxy.

Good reading and great products and the best customer service you will ever come across.

FREE shipping to your door if no distributor near you
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
Epoxy.

Good reading and great products and the best customer service you will ever come across.

FREE shipping to your door if no distributor near you
I've heard really good things about them! I will contact them for sure, thank you!! Jim
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's a tad more aggressive which is why they suggest the Roloc "Surface conditioning discs". But honestly the reason they suggest them is kind of irrelevant on older cars because they aren't galvanized metal like the late model cars. ICARS stance as well as most car manufactures is that if you are removing paint for filler for instance you don't want to remove the zinc coating that is protecting the metal from corrosion. So the fiber discs can remove the paint without removing the coating.

All I know is those surface conditioning discs are the holy grail of prep work around the shop, I LOVE those things. I just cleaned up a metal piece for my car yesterday, a thin metal strip for the back of the seat. I was thinking how I was going to do it, I looked down, there was my angle grinder with a 3" brown disc, to the right was my particle mask, I picked up the angle grinder, stuck on my particle mask and in less than a minute it was bare metal.

Brian
oh sorry, I couldn't recall the "technical" term for it. Maybe it's cause I'm too busy in the back actually doing the work. Thanks for correcting me. as always.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Henry, you have a chip on your shoulder the size of a 59 Cadillac!

I wonder what you think when some youngster tells YOU about skate boarding. LOLOL, I'd love to see that. Yep, you do same amazing work, and you REALLY know a lot about this stuff. I have told you that over and over, you remind me of myself actually, I remember back when I thought I knew it all too and the old guys were out of touch. I sure am glad Bumgarner doesn't look at Righetti that way! Go Giants!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Henry, you have a chip on your shoulder the size of a 59 Cadillac!

I wonder what you think when some youngster tells YOU about skate boarding. LOLOL, I'd love to see that. Yep, you do same amazing work, and you REALLY know a lot about this stuff. I have told you that over and over, you remind me of myself actually, I remember back when I thought I knew it all too and the old guys were out of touch. I sure am glad Bumgarner doesn't look at Righetti that way! Go Giants!

Brian
if someone tells me something about skateboarding I don't feel the need to correct every little detail or strongly express my opinion on things regarding activities I no longer do, and If I did, that's cause it's clear to everyone my work spoke for itself.

The only problem I have with skateboarding is brands like Monster energy drinks trying infultrate the scene to cash in. These corporations are nowhere to be found when skating hits a dip yet they are all over it at its peak.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
if someone tells me something about skateboarding I don't feel the need to correct every little detail or strongly express my opinion on things regarding activities I no longer do, and If I did, that's cause it's clear to everyone my work spoke for itself.
Well I'll get my notarized statements of proof for my body and paint work on a T in the main arena at the Grand National Roadster show, and Street Rodder mag, the first place with another car, the comment in a respected magazine saying one was one of the most detailed most interesting in the show and deserved a spot in the main arena, and the front cover of a magazine and full articles on a few cars I did all body and paint on. The probably hundreds of other classics and the probably thousands of late model collision repair jobs replacing structural and non-structural parts. I'll get that paper work together along with a photo and video montage so I have credibility.

You will still have a problem with my personality, sorry.

I correct those "little things" because others reading it may need to know and it's interesting.

None of this it personal, me "correcting" a few things doesn't change what you can do and how others see you, you may think it does, but it doesn't. Don't take this too seriously, we are tossing things around in a garage while having a beer, that is what these forums are. It's all good, like you "correcting" me on the lubing of the hinges, I learned something, thanks.

Brian
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

There was a day when I thought I knew everything but then I got old and found out I didn't know squat.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”
--Mark Twain
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Credability

Well Brian, Well put. I haven't known of you for a long time, but, I have grown to respect your opinions. We don't all have to agree all the time, but should keep an open mind...that's when the learning process begins.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I'll get my notarized statements of proof for my body and paint work on a T in the main arena at the Grand National Roadster show, and Street Rodder mag, the first place with another car, the comment in a respected magazine saying one was one of the most detailed most interesting in the show and deserved a spot in the main arena, and the front cover of a magazine and full articles on a few cars I did all body and paint on. The probably hundreds of other classics and the probably thousands of late model collision repair jobs replacing structural and non-structural parts. I'll get that paper work together along with a photo and video montage so I have credibility.

You will still have a problem with my personality, sorry.

I correct those "little things" because others reading it may need to know and it's interesting.

None of this it personal, me "correcting" a few things doesn't change what you can do and how others see you, you may think it does, but it doesn't. Don't take this too seriously, we are tossing things around in a garage while having a beer, that is what these forums are. It's all good, like you "correcting" me on the lubing of the hinges, I learned something, thanks.

Brian
Brian, you mean well and have good intentions but you come off as a knowitall, and that I'm some kid in your classroom. A lot of old timer yodas want a certain kind of respect, I get that. It's just hard to keep dishing it out to guys who you haven't even seen their work before. I'm sure you held your own. I'll take your word.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.