How important is the primer I use? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
A person who has never sang on stage wouldn't be able to enter into a conversation with those who have. He would be shown to have never done it VERY fast. Do you think I could fake a discussion on a skate boarding forum?

I know I come off as a know it all, it's my personality, sorry about that.

And I am no Yoda, more of a Han Solo.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Personally, I think both of you guys, as well as several others here, have a ton of knowledge and much to contribute to the discussions.

Everybody has different ways of achieving a good result... Its great to get different points of view and learn different methods.

Its all good!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Henry, you have a chip on your shoulder the size of a 59 Cadillac!

I wonder what you think when some youngster tells YOU about skate boarding. LOLOL, I'd love to see that. Yep, you do same amazing work, and you REALLY know a lot about this stuff. I have told you that over and over, you remind me of myself actually, I remember back when I thought I knew it all too and the old guys were out of touch. I sure am glad Bumgarner doesn't look at Righetti that way! Go Giants!

Brian
Me ,on the other hand...I'm actually fairly well balanced for someone in this biz...I have a chip on BOTH shoulders...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (10-06-2012), tech69 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
They WILL heat up the metal pretty quick! Be CAREFUL!

Brian
Just wanted to throw this out. I used these pads to strip a 67 Chevelle station wagon, the car had the original paint with one repaint on top. I used 3 of these pads to strip the entire car including all the jambs. They make a tremendous mess but just about everything does when stripping a whole car.
Ron
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
Just wanted to throw this out. I used these pads to strip a 67 Chevelle station wagon, the car had the original paint with one repaint on top. I used 3 of these pads to strip the entire car including all the jambs. They make a tremendous mess but just about everything does when stripping a whole car.
Ron
I'd be afraid of the heat created but if you did it, there you go. That was one massive job, you the man!

Brian
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Another thing, the marks it leaves aren't deep but rough enough to where you'll have to go back over it to smooth it out to get a good hand feel. Obviously not very important if you epoxy then block but even then, I'm not sure I'd want to top coat such a scratch. Do like them for nooks and crannies though. and they clean up easily.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 AM

Oh yeah ,thats what I love about the little rol-locs after the paint is gone theres no grinding marks to fill ,just epoxy and paint the jambs who wants to waste days sanding jambs that were done in 2k build primer when you dont have too not to mention getting chips from a thick build up of primer when your all done...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

And if you didn't know, they CAN remove some material if you want to. I was amazed when I was doing my brothers vintage Harley I removed the excess brass from the frame joints that were sweated together. A Roloc disc removed all the excess brass without any damage what so ever to the metal, surprised the heck out of me.

Brian
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Back to the original question, How important is the primer I use?

The primer is the foundation of the paint job, so to answer the question it is very important. As I said before follow Barry's perfect paint job and you won't go wrong.

Now back to the thread hijack ego stroking pissing moaning contest.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 AM

I believe we established that epoxy was best and that SPI might just be one of the best brands earlier in this thread but as good as epoxy primer is,its only as good as the metal prep The perfect paint job always STARTS with the metal prep....After all ,the best foundation is useless to build a house on if the ground isnt preped right...Thats why we always want to strip the old paint off when we really want something to look great,we dont know whats under that old paint or how well it was done.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
55's 65 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I believe we established that epoxy was best and that SPI might just be one of the best brands earlier in this thread but as good as epoxy primer is,its only as good as the metal prep The perfect paint job always STARTS with the metal prep....After all ,the best foundation is useless to build a house on if the ground isnt preped right...Thats why we always want to strip the old paint off when we really want something to look great,we dont know whats under that old paint or how well it was done.
What you say DBM is Very true.
I was just saying the answer to his actual question.

I did not see where he asked how to prep the metal for the primer, although that is a very important step as you mention
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fool For This Useful Post:
55's 65 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
What you say DBM is Very true.
I was just saying the answer to his actual question.

I did not see where he asked how to prep the metal for the primer, although that is a very important step as you mention
I didn't ask only because I didn't think to ask! You guys are great and I appreciate all the advice. I haven't done bodywork in quite a while, and I want it to be right! With that said, I ordered SPI Epoxi Primer and will keep you guys informed on how it goes! Please feel free to keep the advice coming though! Lol
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Another question for you guys. What do you use for filler? What can I do to avoid having a Bondomobile?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

do good metal work with planishing hammers, shrinking disks, plastic mallets. All that stuff takes time, experience, and to know how metal works(easy part. You can also use lead or synthetic lead to use as filler. Either that or you have a bondomobile, a primermobile, or a wavymobile. I'd love to do all my work with shrinking disks and true restoration tools but nowadays no one has the money to pay for those kind of jobs. My advice is, if you have the time and money and the car is gonna be worth while why not? If you don't get the perfect results you're looking for than it's that much less filler to apply, but you should be aiming for a straight finish to where you only need a primer to level it.

Anywho, we use 3m Platinum filler, various urethane/polyurethane primers, and sometimes we use z grip to fill over huge manholes.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM

even if the car is packed bumper to bumper with bondo ,the trick is for it NOT to look like it is...it takes experiance,lots of it....
I pefer Z-grip along with EZ sand finishing putty.One coat of z-grip fills just about anything I need sometimes two if I dont have time to do proper metal finishing...after I sand with 36 I quickly breeze over it with 80 then start with the ez sand putty and 80 grit all the way to 320 and a thin coat of primer ,it works great for me and quick,i like that part

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.