How to install an ammeter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to install an ammeter

Hi to all,

I'm new to this site. I'm working on a 1953 Packard Deluxe Clipper. It has a 327 inline 8 cylinder, 3 speed on the column, overdrive. I restored and rewired the car. The car was a 6v positive ground system. When I rewired the car, I converted it to a 6v negative ground. I changed the leads on the coil and changed the voltage regulator from a 6v positive regulator to a 6v regulator. Also, put in push button switch on the dash instead of started switch on the carburetor. All wiring is to factory specs.

Now, my question is, how can I wire in an ammeter since I do not trust the idiot light even though it seems to be working. I would still to see if the battery is getting charged. I can unhook the battery and the car will stay running. But I think that does not mean the generator and voltage regulator are charging the battery. It may just be putting out enough to keep the engine running. I would install a volt meter but I can't find one that will read below 8v for the 6v system.

2nd question, does anyone know of a 6v tack meter that will work with my setup??

Thanks for any help.
Joe in TN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

dakota digital sells digital readout gauges ( even though it won't look stock ) as for mounting a ammeter http://www.egauges.com/pdf/AutoMeter/247e.pdf

hope this helps you .
Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 AM

Last photo:

Only sure fire way I know to check battery is charging is to test the voltage at the battery terminals with the car both running and turned off.On a 12v car you should get a reading of about 14v running and 12 ish stopped so this would eqate to 7v and 6v respectivrly on a 6v system.hope this helps.
On the subject of ammeter, any ammeter should work as its measuring current not voltage.I would connect it in the feed from the battery to the main live connection point (fuse box)that way you,ll be able to see whats going in and out of youre battery.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Trouble with an ammeter is that it must be hooked up inline on the main accessory wire, which means running that into the interior. A volt meter, which actually is better telling you the state of your charging system, can be a remote hookup..That is why the car companies went to voltmeters.....I would go with a voltmeter any day

Budget RVs

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.