Hot Rod Forum banner

How To Lay Out Custom Paint Designs

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  crazy larry 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to lay out designs. For example. I was painting the hood of a Dodge Shadow and it had a small hood scoop that was off center. I thought it would be nice to accent the scoop with some red. I laid it out by eye and it came out pretty good. I did notice though that on each side of the scoop each accent started a bit farther away from the hood. Also one accent had a bit more thickness to it. Can anyone share their methods of how to lay things out? I like to sit for a while, do some rough sketches and then once I get a general layout I need a way to make sure everything is even. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
lay out half of it,get it like you want it, and copy that onto a piece of paper, flip it over and you have an instant mirror image..... use whats called a pounce wheel to perforate the paper pattern,(i use my wifes sewing pattern deally) and dust with chalk, remove paper, and lay some tape......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.